SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

C11 Owners ( present, past and future)

I guess a dedicated scope, particularly with larger aperture, would give better results than an f5 scope with Barlow(s).

I'm not sure that's necessarily true.  Looking through the planetary images posted here there are very good ones from 250mm+ GOTO dobs used with a 5x PowerMate.  Not strictly a barlow, I know, but close enough :)

James

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you James :)  I was considering getting a 5x PowerMate - I gather they're better than the common-or-garden Barlow.  I'll look out for a second hand one.

TV Powermates are fabulous.  I have the X2 version which gives F20 on planets with the SCT.  You need the seeing to cooperate though! Even more so if you are going for a x5 Gina.

Thank you Steve :)  I've read lots of glowing reports of Powermates.  With the MN190 a x5 will give me f25 or up to f35 with an extension.  With 100mm extension tube the x5 gives around 7x according to the spec.  Yes, I realise the seeing has to cooperate.

Thanks Merlin :)  If I start off with the Philips SPC900NC with 5.6 micron pixels I shall want f28 then.  MN190 is f5.3 so magnification required = 5.3 (28/5.3) and a 5x Powermate would be ideal :)  Or a 3x Barlow with extension tube.

Archived