Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C11 Owners ( present, past and future)

Digging up an old thread here but... :D  I'm on the point of buying a second hand C11 with CF tube with the idea of planetary imaging :)  Initially with a webcam - MS Lifecam Cinema or Studio (I have both).  I also have 2x and 3x Barlows.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moved up to the Binoviewers for planetary on the CPC 1100 - even at the low end (WO) - Jupiter this last apparition was absolutely amazing - just with the supplied WO 20mm's and the x1.6 Barlow (bought as a bundle in a box) and with Jupiter so high in elevation and such good seeing around opposition this last time - the best views for such a long time - some of the Denk systems (Binoviewers) go for big money, but for me, I think with the extra aperture the light loss  doesn't seem to degrade the views by much- far from it - just a wonderful experience.

Paul.

Moved up to the Binoviewers for planetary on the CPC 1100 - even at the low end (WO) - Jupiter this last apparition was absolutely amazing - just with the supplied WO 20mm's and the x1.6 Barlow (bought as a bundle in a box) and with Jupiter so high in elevation and such good seeing around opposition this last time - the best views for such a long time - some of the Denk systems (Binoviewers) go for big money, but for me, I think with the extra aperture the light loss  doesn't seem to degrade the views by much- far from it - just a wonderful experience.

Paul.

Hi Paul     have been toying with the idea of the WO Bino's for a while now for my C11  would you say they are money well spent and have you just stuck with the supplied eyepiece's or have you added to them    thx     

Kev

Digging up an old thread here but... :D  I'm on the point of buying a second hand C11 with CF tube with the idea of planetary imaging :)  Initially with a webcam - MS Lifecam Cinema or Studio (I have both).  I also have 2x and 3x Barlows.

You can have some great fun Gina with a C11 and a cheap w/cam you can see from my youtube vids at bottom of my sig  and I really didn't know what I was doing  but was chuffed with the results

kev

I use WO binos with my C9.25 and the result is amazing. I still use the stock eyepieces, they are pretty good + SCTs are not demanding on eyepieces. I have also bought a pair of 25 mm TV plossls and as pair of 15 mm Vixen NLVs, both very nice. The Vixens are quite wide at the top and the bridge of my nose only just fits in between. Be careful of the top width of eyepieces for binos, it can get quite crowded.

HI Kev, I've been really impressed with the WO, for the money they are really hard to beat in my opinion, I've not had the chance to look through other systems and I just use the supplied 20mm EP's and have a pair of Meade 4000 26mm plossls that work just as well, as said the detail on Jupiter was amazing, there seems to be a lot of talk regarding the change in focal lengths whilst putting the Binoviewers into the optical train, but I don't bother with all the formulas and maths behind the hobby regarding using the bino's at the scope, but using both eyes against the mono view really does work for me and like the ease of the cheaper EP's - it keeps the weight down on the back of the scope and I'm in favour of using the Plossl's as you can get the eye position just right - I wear glasses but have always observed with them off, with the Plossl's and the rubber eyecups extended, you can get in nice and close - its just a much more relaxing experience - I took the scope up to a local star party on the top of Barr Beacon (near to me) and just put the bino's on with the 20mm plossls and the x 1.6 Barlow, the public seemed to really enjoy using both their eyes instead of the usual mono experience.

Going into 2 eye mode gave much more colour and definition to the GRS on Jupiter, overall a big increase in teasing out detail, comfort and just being able to relax much more in Bino mode - don't think I will ever go back to Planetary/Luna mono mode.

Paul.

HI Kev, I've been really impressed with the WO, for the money they are really hard to beat in my opinion, I've not had the chance to look through other systems and I just use the supplied 20mm EP's and have a pair of Meade 4000 26mm plossls that work just as well, as said the detail on Jupiter was amazing, there seems to be a lot of talk regarding the change in focal lengths whilst putting the Binoviewers into the optical train, but I don't bother with all the formulas and maths behind the hobby regarding using the bino's at the scope, but using both eyes against the mono view really does work for me and like the ease of the cheaper EP's - it keeps the weight down on the back of the scope and I'm in favour of using the Plossl's as you can get the eye position just right - I wear glasses but have always observed with them off, with the Plossl's and the rubber eyecups extended, you can get in nice and close - its just a much more relaxing experience - I took the scope up to a local star party on the top of Barr Beacon (near to me) and just put the bino's on with the 20mm plossls and the x 1.6 Barlow, the public seemed to really enjoy using both their eyes instead of the usual mono experience.

Going into 2 eye mode gave much more colour and definition to the GRS on Jupiter, overall a big increase in teasing out detail, comfort and just being able to relax much more in Bino mode - don't think I will ever go back to Planetary/Luna mono mode.

Paul.

Thx  Paul

Cant wait to try some for myself top of my next astro purchase list now

Kev

I had the C11 with AZ EQ6 but it was a pain to keep setting up. Am seriously now thinking about the CPC1100 and trying out this webcam stuff. Without a scope at the moment and it's so painful when we get a lovely clear night.

I shall not be getting that C11 after all - the seller decided he would prefer to keep it.  I couldn't find a carrier willing to collect it anyway so I shall be looking out for one locally sometime in the future.  In fact, I have plenty on without branching out into planetary right now :D  Getting a great big C11 was a bit of a pipe dream really :D

I shall not be getting that C11 after all - the seller decided he would prefer to keep it.  I couldn't find a carrier willing to collect it anyway so I shall be looking out for one locally sometime in the future.  In fact, I have plenty on without branching out into planetary right now :D  Getting a great big C11 was a bit of a pipe dream really :D

Hi Gina.How about looking around for a

s/hand C-925.Lot easier to use.I only

ended up with the C11,+ CG-5 mount ,

because of the price.It came up,& that

was it.I had the dosh.Had a lot of fun

with it.

Steve

I shall just see what crops up :)  A C925 would be easier to handle, of course.  Another possibility will be to add a Barlow or TeleVue to my MN190.  x2 gives f10, x3 gives f15 and a x5 would give f25 which would probably be too much :D

It's such a good job I can't justify the upgrade to a C11 or C14 at the moment, otherwise I'd be offering you first refusal on my C9.25, Gina :D  And I'd even deliver it.

The same f-ratio rules apply whatever telescope you use, so if you wanted to use the SPC900 with the MN190 ideally you'd still be wanting to head upwards of f/30.  I'd give it a whirl with whatever you've got and see how you get on to start with though.  If you need to buy a barlow the Revelation Astro 2.5x is very good, not to mention cheap, and you can always add extensions to it (easy to turn the lengths you want on the lathe and anodise them black) to get more focal length.

James

It's such a good job I can't justify the upgrade to a C11 or C14 at the moment, otherwise I'd be offering you first refusal on my C9.25, Gina :D  And I'd even deliver it.

The same f-ratio rules apply whatever telescope you use, so if you wanted to use the SPC900 with the MN190 ideally you'd still be wanting to head upwards of f/30.  I'd give it a whirl with whatever you've got and see how you get on to start with though.  If you need to buy a barlow the Revelation Astro 2.5x is very good, not to mention cheap, and you can always add extensions to it (easy to turn the lengths you want on the lathe and anodise them black) to get more focal length.

James

Nice thought James - thank you :)

I think I already have a Revelation Astro 2.5x :)  I also have Celestron 2x and Tal 2x and 3x.  So I should be able to get a suitable magnification :D

I guess a dedicated scope, particularly with larger aperture, would give better results than an f5 scope with Barlow(s).

Why not get a Newt 200mm cheap easy to move about, get a second hand one and sell  it on if it doesn't do what you want lose no money that way.......

I already have a 190mm Mak-Newt :D

Archived