SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rework of M51

Dave_D

Stumbled upon this excellent set of  PixInsight tutorials by Jason Brown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2gtU1olrRA&list=PLaGsNmS0IVAfwFtIDdBSWvBwkXgTpsHeq

Makes a huge improvement. My original crappy processing using the same data is top right. Just need to collect better data now as the original was with a 75% moon. not too sure what that dark line down the middle is though.

M51reprocess_zps3f61c90d.png

lots more detail in the arms very nice

I'm really chuffed with this. Both images were with the same original stacked data from DSS. It really is amazing how much detail can be pulled out by applying processes of someone with a lot more experience.  :grin:

Hopefully, future images will be in a different league now I have autoguiding sorted. Only thing i want to do is increase exposure length but I need a good LP filter which is sadly unattainable at the moment with being out of work.

Just wish i could get into narrow band with a mono CCD but that'll be a long way off.

What LP filter would you go for, ideally?

Not too sure really... either a clip filter or preferably something that screws onto my MPCC. Obviously, the ones i like cost silly money but y'know... that's what I get for having an expensive hobby  :laugh:

Stumbled upon this excellent set of  PixInsight tutorials by Jason Brown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2gtU1olrRA&list=PLaGsNmS0IVAfwFtIDdBSWvBwkXgTpsHeq

Makes a huge improvement. My original crappy processing using the same data is top right. Just need to collect better data now as the original was with a 75% moon. not too sure what that dark line down the middle is though.

That's a really nice image Dave, it will be good to see it when you get more data as well.  I see what you mean about the dark lines in the image, there are quite a lot visible on my screen. I haven't the faintest idea what they are.

Tim

Nice capture of the M51 Dave and a lot more detail in the reprocess. I watched all his videos quite a few times before paying for PI, thare very good and simple to understand. You seem to have the same black coloumn syndrome in your capture that my first modded 1100d was suffering from but yours is quite subtle.

A.G

Nice capture of the M51 Dave and a lot more detail in the reprocess. I watched all his videos quite a few times before paying for PI, thare very good and simple to understand. You seem to have the same black coloumn syndrome in your capture that my first modded 1100d was suffering from but yours is quite subtle.

A.G

Remember the gradient that was appearing at the bottom of the frame? well, from what i can see from following those tutorials, it seems to be caused by not setting the minimum sample weight correctly. Not had it since i started doing that, even on the same data that it was appearing on, on previous pics.

What i really need now is to get longer subs. Only managing 120s at the moment for various reasons.

Nice imrovement.

Gradients (vignetting) on the bottom of the frames is usually from the mirror in the DSLR, on faster scopes it's usually best to crop it away instead of fixing it because of the high loss of signal in heavily vignetted areas.

Nice imrovement.

Gradients (vignetting) on the bottom of the frames is usually from the mirror in the DSLR, on faster scopes it's usually best to crop it away instead of fixing it because of the high loss of signal in heavily vignetted areas.

yeah i get that sometimes. seems to depend on where my scope is pointing as i have a lot of LP and houses that keep their lights on 24/7  :laugh:

what's strange though is that i've had that gradient line along the bottom, on images i've cropped as well which led me to believe it was what i mentioned above.

Archived