Hi again

Coming to terms with the size and scope (no pun) of this site and feel I may have posted a new topic in the wrong place. Anyhow, here's my stuff again. Sorry if it's a bore but I WILL learn ...

Thanks for the warmth of welcome under another topic I started by mistake- a warmth which is unlike the temperature around here!

I have what I'm sure - thanks to reading all that you folks have written - is a decent enough starter scope, a Skywatcher 150P Skyliner. It was supplied with the usual 10mm and 25mm EPs. I have added an inexpensive Barlow.

Best viewing has been with the 25mm (moon and Jupiter, especially). The 10 mm and/or Barlow sessions were ordinary, to say the least.

I've picked up that these poorer results are probably due to seeing conditions but, nevertheless, I'm on the trail of upgrading my EPs.

I have just taken delivery of a Televue 8-24mm zoom and cursing the pea soup skies above but looking forward to field testing ...

Also have in the pipeline a Widescan III 30mm 2'', which is in the ballpark recommended by a dignitary in my local astronomy club.

So, in short, everything to look forward to.

I have unloaded my ego and taken on board a shed load of humility, as advised by those wiser than me.

I will not (thanks Astrobaby) be even thinking about astrophotography!

I have the ubiquitous Turn Left At Orion and, as recommended on this site, the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders. So I guess it's 'per ardua ad astra'?!

Is it true that the pursuit of better EPs will pauper me? And if I post enough to access the classifieds, will it be worse?

Hi Gordon, and welcome to SGL from the far south!  Yes, you have made some wise purchases by the sound of it to start with, but get used to using your new scope and the new eyepieces before moving on.  Yes, this hobby can be expensive so don't rush to buy and consider well and 'why' when making any further purchases.  Let us know how you get on with your new scope and the eyepieces you have

Is it true that if and when I can access the classifieds I will have to keep my missus in the dark regarding my expenditure?!

Well , if you like breathing, then yes............. :grin:

Archived