Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"Bendy bolts" no more .....

Steve Ward

Hmm... Think it's a bit expensive, guess I will look for a cheaper solution. And, really, I don't like over engineered stuff, enough is enough - why use more, expensive, raw material than needed? :rolleyes:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very well made and definitely a 'Rolls Royce' solution.

Considering the obvious quality and the number of components in the kit and the quantities they are likely prduced in, the price is quite fair.

The only point I'm not sure of is the 2 bearing flanges that are initially fitted to the mount are held in place by friction only and it may be possible that the mount

could slip independantly of the elevation adjustment linkage if using a large scope and a lot of counterweights.

For security I'd like to see the 2 flanges  'keyed' to the mount and totally eliminate the possibility of a slip in altitude at that joint.

Dave.

It's very well made and definitely a 'Rolls Royce' solution.

Considering the obvious quality and the number of components in the kit and the quantities they are likely prduced in, the price is quite fair.

The only point I'm not sure of is the 2 bearing flanges that are initially fitted to the mount are held in place by friction only and it may be possible that the mount

could slip independantly of the elevation adjustment linkage if using a large scope and a lot of counterweights.

For security I'd like to see the 2 flanges  'keyed' to the mount and totally eliminate the possibility of a slip in altitude at that joint.

Dave.

Fair point and it would probably be best to make your last adjusment 'lifting' the mount thus taking up the play so it cannot slip downwards. It isn't going to slip the other way...

ChrisH

If you are going to go as far as attach this unit (and therefore invalidate any warranty etc) then a couple of drilled and tapped holes in the mount casting to provide for a couple of locking bolts to key things together shouldn't be a problem.

Yep I raised that with Dion. But he thinks the thread is like the worm wheel on the mount and does not move unless turned. I think it could still do with a lock nut to nip up on the adjuster

For info, the EQ5/CG5 bolts are M8 and M6.

For <£15 including P&P I bought a set of nice, strong, and large-lobed bolts from Boneham & Turner Ltd.  I went for M10 Dec adjusters (and drilled/tapped out the holes to accept the larger M10 bolts) but the standard fitting items are as follows:-

1 off ACLERX25 Price: £1.83 Adjustable Clamping Lever ERX M8 x 60mm  for Dec adjustment (polarscope end)

1 off LBKP25 Price: £2.27 Lobe Knobs M8 x 40mm x 50mm for Dec adjustment

2 off LBKP10 Price: £1.61 Lobe Knobs M6 x 35mm for RA adjustment

They're so much better than the stock items, the lobe knobs and clamping lever make set-up almost a joy!  They're also so much cheaper than the proprietary sets available.

I hope the info is of use :grin:

If you are going to go as far as attach this unit (and therefore invalidate any warranty etc) then a couple of drilled and tapped holes in the mount casting to provide for a couple of locking bolts to key things together shouldn't be a problem.

£260 for a mod, only to then mod the mod...Where does it stop? :D

For <£15 including P&P I bought a set of nice, strong, and large-lobed bolts from Boneham & Turner Ltd.  I went for M10 Dec adjusters (and drilled/tapped out the holes to accept the larger M10 bolts) but the standard fitting items are as follows:-

1 off ACLERX25 Price: £1.83 Adjustable Clamping Lever ERX M8 x 60mm  for Dec adjustment (polarscope end)

They're so much better than the stock items, the lobe knobs and clamping lever make set-up almost a joy!  They're also so much cheaper than the proprietary sets available.

but aren't you replacing mild steel bolts with mild steel bolts?

Thanks for this info I will be ordering some new bolts for my EQ5 even though mine are ok 

That upgrade looks very impressive 

but aren't you replacing mild steel bolts with mild steel bolts?

I think that technically you're replacing cheese with mild-steel :shocked:

The OE adjusters seem to be of supremely low quality, and the design of the swivel-handle lends itself to bending the bolts.  The replacements I've linked thus far appear to be far more durable, and the handle/lever arrangement means you tend to turn the bolt as opposed to bend it so they should outlast the originals.  Just to be sure I did go up a size to 10mm though, but that does require some mount-surgery :evil:

In all honesty, I never had a problem with my bolts on the eq5+200p although it quickly became apparent that the upgraded bolts was more or less a must on the neq6 and for the sake of a few quid, I most definately suggest stepping up a notch from mild steel.

I think I must be very lucky. Had my HEQ5 pro for 7 years without trouble. Always make sure the north facing bolt is loosened off a couple of turns before adjusting alt. Hand tighten the same bolt as the last step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm gonna get this, unless the price is completly outrageous. I live close to 60 degrees north, even with longer bolts it doesn't feel that good tbh ;-)

At 62N, I concur!

I purchased 2 50mm M8 knobs and a length of high tensile 12.9 grade M8 threaded stud to replace the (so called) metal adjustment bolts fitted. Just cutting the stud to length proved difficult it was that tough. They work a treat and all for less than a tenner :)

That's all fine if you live in the UK or Dublin, but the bendy bolt problem is not the only one.  This mod is I would guess more directed at people who live in the extremes of Alt where there is an inherent problem with the existing mechanism where the bolts do not make proper contact with the blade.

The system will prove useful to those of us whom have to set up from scratch everytime the mount is taken out. Those with an obsy will only set up once and forget about it. But I have seen the asking price on the NET and with pre order it is 310 euros plus PP, quite a lot I think.

A.G

In that case they might be rather short of a leg to stand on :D

James

I agree with you there james, these mounts are marketed as portable imaging mounts,  in particular the EQ5 and HEQ5 Pros so the idea that the bolts bend becuase of undue telescope weight  during  Alt adjustment does not hold water. I did study mechanical engineering and I am also a model engine builder ( from scratch mot kit form ) and IMHO the design of the lug where the alt bolts push on is not sound, Steel bolts with rounded tips are pushing against soft Aluminium and as the angle chnges the end of the bolts just dig into the soft metal. I am quite sure that with repeated adjustments under load fatigue fracture will soon set in and render the lugs useless.

Regards,

A.G

Archived