Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A nice afternoon's planetary observing...

ollypenrice

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maurice, I distinctly asked you to Photoshop out the fact that I was the only one who needed to stand on a plastic stool to get to the darned eyepiece!! Pah, you can't trust anybody.  :grin:

Olly

I was going to mention the stool but didn't want to lower the tone!

I was going to mention the stool but didn't want to lower the tone!

We don't discuss the colour of our stools on SGL!

The worst of it is that this eyepiece is at the Nasmyth focus so it doesn't get any lower than this and I still need that damned... plastic thing!

Olly

That scope has a new Porsche in the showroom look! Beautiful !!!

Back to the how: I notice the observatory is barely open, presumably to cut down on light scatter?

I suspect that the slit was just opening as Maurice took the picture. It was fully open for observing. The sun really was bright that day, too.

Olly

Maurice, I distinctly asked you to Photoshop out the fact that I was the only one who needed to stand on a plastic stool to get to the darned eyepiece!! Pah, you can't trust anybody.  :grin:

Olly

The plastic stool caused me to chuckle.

€6 Million for the scope.

€3 for the stool.

Sweet.

€3 for the stool.

Sweet.Yes, it's always ike that. I dare say that on the island of Hven, at Tycho's observatory, the stools ware wrought in brass and polished by Tycho's favourite serving wenches  :blob5:  who, perhaps, also tested the matresses.  :eek:  (Mods, be tolerant, it was a long time ago... :grin: )

Olly

€3 for the stool.

Sweet.Yes, it's always ike that. I dare say that on the island of Hven, at Tycho's observatory, the stools ware wrought in brass and polished by Tycho's favourite serving wenches  :blob5:  who, perhaps, also tested the matresses.  :eek:  (Mods, be tolerant, it was a long time ago... :grin: )

Olly

No worries. :D

Lovely looking instrument. I have very fond memories of Sir Isaac too even though there was much too much moonlight at the time. I especially liked ticking off the last two Messiers with it, and picking up a few very compact planetaries. Our plans for this summer include southern France again, and we might be spending a week at the Orpierre campsite (I'll try to aim for moonless nights), so if you don't mind, I might drop in to drive the big dob again.

Archived