SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A nice afternoon's planetary observing...

ollypenrice

With a couple of our guests I did a bit of Jupiter watching this afternoon. It was a very hot sunny day with a lovely clear blue sky and Jupiter was at a nice high altitude so we watched the transit of Callisto's shadow well clear of the equatorial belts, which were showing that classic brick red colour. A 26 Nagler gave a good high power for a comfortable view.

Go on, ask me!! How did we do it?

:grin: lly

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go on, ask me!! How did we do it?

"Manual go-to", i.e. old-fashioned use of setting circles?  And perhaps a polarizing filter, to darken the blue sky background. If not high mag itself makes the sky surrounding the planetary disk dark enough . . .

Something to do with aperture. Marc, my fellow astro-provider, rather better endowed financially than I am, has a moderately large device at his disposal... http://a404.idata.over-blog.com/4/15/06/42/DSCN7169.JPG

Darned impressive!!!

Olly

it must be one of the most beautiful scopes I have ever seen. trully stunning (even though it's red)

Archived