Best eyepieces - hypothetical - money no object

Moonhawk

Say you have a 10" SCT (F10) and a 90mm Widefield Refractor (F5.5).

If money were no object - what would be your ideal range of eyepieces to go with this setup?

My set-up is very similar to yours (F/10 SCT + F/6 wide-field), so collection should fit (you can leave out my MaxVisions an the XF8.5 as they are only really used in the solar scope).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wear glasses and own a TV101 and a C11. 

The Leica zoom seems to me from what I've read here and elsewhere to be the the perfect C11 eyepiece in terms of eye relief and magnifications covered. I'm seriously thinking about getting one myself for that reason. 

Roughly the same field of view as a Delos, but cheaper than buying sufficient Delos eyepieces to cover that range (or it would be if I hadn't already got the 14mm one) 

Then all you need is something at the wide end, the obvious choice being a 31mm Nagler (I have a 24mm ES Nagler-clone) and a few high-mag eyepieces for your fast scope (I use 4.5mm and 8mm Delos plus a 3mm Radian) 

Aaron,Sadly I bought all of my Radians new that I still have, 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm. I also had the 6mm and 10mm but have never seen the rest. I still think they are great eyepieces and perfect for planetary work without the Delos price tag.I tend to go with you on the balance system I have one on mine and it has bigger motors than the LX90, they are dam dear for what they are though.On a completely different subject, Do they still sell those Pie Floaters in Sydney? Fine grub indeed and puts a new twist on the floaters we see on here from time to time.Alan

Haha... Yes, Alan, they are still available in a few places. More novelty grub than anything else. If others were to look up what these actually are, they'll no doubt figure we're still a nation of convicts!

I wear glasses and own a TV101 and a C11. 

The Leica zoom seems to me from what I've read here and elsewhere to be the the perfect C11 eyepiece in terms of eye relief and magnifications covered. I'm seriously thinking about getting one myself for that reason. 

Roughly the same field of view as a Delos, but cheaper than buying sufficient Delos eyepieces to cover that range (or it would be if I hadn't already got the 14mm one) 

Then all you need is something at the wide end, the obvious choice being a 31mm Nagler (I have a 24mm ES Nagler-clone) and a few high-mag eyepieces for your fast scope (I use 4.5mm and 8mm Delos plus a 3mm Radian)

If there is one eyepiece that still has my curiosity, it is the Leica zoom. From all accounts, it's a beauty!

I think I can comfortably say I am done with astro gear, particularly eyepieces, for the foreseeable future. Aside from a larger solar scope, I really can't think of anything more I want. Let's hope I don't lose any remaining sanity and get the urge to try astro photography!

Archived