SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What do you keep your C9.25 in?

Had mine a few years now.  I don't keep it in anything.  It is such a beast that condensation is an issue so I purposely do not lock it in anything. It sits on its nose on a shelf in a cupboard. Its been fine for years. I always leave the back off for 24 hours after use too.

Ditto! Mine is on order and I was wondering whether to store it indoors or out in the shed where it would be close to external air temp. I would imagine the latter so as to reduce the risk condensation forming as soon as I set it up. A cardboard box would attract dampness, maybe a wooden one would be better? Wooden ammo boxes are still around for not a lot of money.

Personally I would keep it indoors because the temp variation during prolonged storage will be less than a shed. I leave mine outside for 1.5 hours before I set up.  I then put the dew shield AND dew heater on and all is fine.  I wouldn't seal it in anything even wooden unless you're worried it might get damaged.  When mine came from Widescreen it had a bag of silica gel the size of Belgium with it.  Just shows how much of a damp magnet they could be when sealed up.  Exciting though that you're getting one.  I can give you lots of tips if you need them.   :smiley:

Now then as I'm from Yorkshire I don't have many eyepieces.  It still amazes me how many some people have, or claim to have.  In my experience you don't get that much extra from owning enough to play chess with.

Baader Hyperion 8mm (with FT rings) (1.25" or 2" option), top notch kit

Cel Xcel 25mm 1.25 (better eye relief)

Cel Omni 15mm 1.25

Cel Omni 40mm 1.25 (brilliant quality EP)

That's more than enough for me and both my scopes.

Eyepieces are easy with a SCT the scope is slow so the cheaper end of the market work well, my Hyperions do a good job the 17mm gets a lot of use, the Pentax's are very nice but more for faster scopes like the 10" newt they work in the SCT but are bit overkill i think. Getting at and using EP's, i used a bit of 3" X  3" bored in some 2" holes and 1.25" the EP's sit in these makes for easy access......

DSC_0014.jpg

Mine goes in a heavy duty plastic hardware box which has a secure lid - 2 ankle biters mean I worry about leaving it out.  I always make sure the corrector is dew free after use (normally I put the cover on after taking the dew shield off but with the heater band still on and it stays clear) then put it in the box with a desiccant cap in the back.  Then check it the day after use to make sure it is clear - never had a problem

Now then as I'm from Yorkshire I don't have many eyepieces.  It still amazes me how many some people have, or claim to have.  In my experience you don't get that much extra from owning enough to play chess with.

Baader Hyperion 8mm (with FT rings) (1.25" or 2" option), top notch kit

Cel Xcel 25mm 1.25 (better eye relief)

Cel Omni 15mm 1.25

Cel Omni 40mm 1.25 (brilliant quality EP)

That's more than enough for me and both my scopes.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! The comment on the no of eyepieces made me smile.

I think I'll get a 9 and a 18mm Celestron X-cell LX. Is it worth going down smaller than 9mm? Are barlows useful on a C9.25 (I only have experience of owning a newtonian)?

Appologies to P.O.S. for butting in.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! The comment on the no of eyepieces made me smile.

I think I'll get a 9 and a 18mm Celestron X-cell LX. Is it worth going down smaller than 9mm? Are barlows useful on a C9.25 (I only have experience of owning a newtonian)?

Appologies to P.O.S. for butting in.

9mm is pushing it on this scope. Great for the moon but unless you've got great seeing not much else. You might want to see how you get on with the 18mm first. I own a Barlow but don't really use it for visual .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have had mine for coming on 8 years now and the OTA lives in its original double layered cardboard box in the bedroom covered by a throw (yes SWMBO is considerate to such things). I keep the corrector plate end with its cover on and the eyepiece fitted to minimise dust and the right angled finder with end covers and sachets of desiccant are also kept in the box . The CG5 mount lives in a large plastic lidded box from Wilko's (also in the bedroom) and the tripod seems happy in the shed covered by tarpaulin.

Interesting to see what alternatives others have.

Cheers,

Steve

Mine is in a very large plastic Ikea storage box. I bought some cheap cushions at the same time and lay them in the bottom of the box then put the ota in. I even had a purpose built unit made especially to accommodate it under our stairs. 

i am no carpenter as i said but i knocked this up out of 9mm mdf and a few scraps of timber.

post-5271-0-63943500-1396202027_thumb.jppost-5271-0-45519700-1396202056_thumb.jp

enough room to fit accessories under the scope when its in there and lots of silca gel bags! there is even enough room to wrap the dew shield around the sct when staored.

rock solid i have stood on it lots of times to remove dew from the sct corrector. also makes a great laptop table when the sct is stored and the 200PDS is in its place.

Archived