Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter from 21 March

james_screech

I've spent a lot of time experimenting a lot with the processing of this image.

Captured 20,000 frame using FireCapture (@30fps), de-rotated in WinJupos, stacked (15,000 frames) in AS!2 (with drizzle) and post processed in FitsWork (removal of drizzle artefacts)  and Photoshop.

Taken with a DFK31AU03.AS through a Celestron 8"SCT AVX and 2.5x Powermate (final focal ratio about f22).

post-12132-0-97148100-1395914106.jpg

Nice detail and process in that capture James.   A much bigger stack than I would do, which is typically around 1,500-2000 per channel - though when you add all the frames together in the composite not so far adrift - might be worth some experiment to see if small stacks do improve the definition without a major increase in noise, though quite probably you've already tried!

Thank you everyone for the comments.

I always wonder if it will be better to decrease the image size to increase the sharpness or not. The image certainly looks sharper at half size but then am I losing some of the fine detail? I suppose its very much a subjective thing really.

James

Archived