Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3hrs in a cloudless sky with M106

astromerlin

I had a great nights imaging on the 23rd where everything seemed to work right.

Target is M106, imaged with my SW250p and Canon 1100d (modded)

3hours and 10min subs at ISO1600 + 30 darks and flats

Stacked in Dss and processed with Startools and finished in PS.

All comments or processing advice welcome.

post-3186-0-32511000-1395878354_thumb.pn

Well for a comment I think that is lovely and you have done really well. I certainly can't offer any processing advice...I Googled M106 just to see where it was and some images appearing as a result were, IMO, not as nice as yours.

Can you give a bit more info on the capture...e.g. How many lights/individual duration and did you pause to let the camera cool? Also, what guiding did you use?

Thanks and well done

Steve

Wow 10 min subs with a,dslr how did you cool the camera between shots ? There's no noise in your spectacular. Image any chance you post one of the single 10 min subs ,I would like to see one you got the really nice and it's a great image did you use the reflector no diffraction spikes on the stars did you process them out and not blowing the core with 10 min subs did you combine and shorter length subs ,is the 1100d modded ?you should run your other pics through that software as they very red and noise how did you keep the noise down on these compared to your lower ISO shorter length subs from you other pics

Pat

Well for a comment I think that is lovely and you have done really well. I certainly can't offer any processing advice...I Googled M106 just to see where it was and some images appearing as a result were, IMO, not as nice as yours.

Can you give a bit more info on the capture...e.g. How many lights/individual duration and did you pause to let the camera cool? Also, what guiding did you use?

Thanks and well done

Steve

Dear me I did forget to mention the sub duration, it was late when I posted. Each sub was 300 secs long with 20 sec pause inbetween and if I remember the sensor temp was around 12 deg. Guiding was with PHD and finder/guidescope.

I am lucky to live in a dark sky area and that night was the first proper clear spell in a long time so I decided to push the ISO up to see what results would be compared to my previous captures at iso800.

I've found since using Startools my images have improved a bit, I've always struggled with chroma noise in the images and I've probably over-stretched a few trying to pull details out.

Next I'll try 10min subs but I'll need to get my guiding tighter for that.

When I was using a DSLR, I found 5 - 7min subs optimal. I used to add a 20 sec pause, but then found that setting PHD to dither between exposures was pause enough. I also used ISO1600 rather than 800. It doesn't do anything for the camera sensitivity (that isn't how ISO works), but I found it made processing easier.

I'll have to have a look at Startools because I've seen a few images processed using that package which were really excellent (as yours is) :)

My bad miss read a thought it said 3 hrs @ 10 min subs

Pat

My bad really there Pat but thanks for pointing out the redness in previous images, I dont see it until I convert to png and post. I have to find out why that is, I process on a fairly old laptop even though the screen looks fairly calibrated it's a bit dim.

Startools has quite a lot of processing power for the price but as I dont have a 64bit machine I have to crop or software bin dslr images, I think it's because of the 4gig memory limit on 32bit so at present I try to crop galaxys and bin nebula to keep fov.

It's worth trying out, fully functional with image save disabled until purchased.

Rik, Thanks for the pointers, i've never tried dithering but have found I can pull more out of the image at iso1600 also, I'll have to give dithering a go.

Archived