Explore Scientific

andrew63

I just ordered a ES 4.7mm 82 degree eyepiece from the US for $99 (+ $14 P&P), as it was the discount price for old stock (the Argon purged one was $135). When they said it was out of stock and on back order, I asked if I could cancel the order, as I assumed that they wouldn't be getting any in. They replied that as I'd already placed the order, they'd offer me an Argon one for the same price as the discounted Nitrogen one! I'm not bothered which one I get, but $99 (before taxes, etc) is a great price. I worked out that UK VAT and the Royal Mail handling charge would increase the cost by about £22, but as my father lives in the USA, is visiting me next month and the eyepiece value is below the single item personal import tax free limit. What was odd was that postage to the UK was $1 more than ground delivery within the US.

For those that want to know, import duty on eyepieces is 2.3%, but import duty isn't charged on items below £135. VAT is charged on the purchase price and the postage (and on the duty, if paid).

The low price for Nitrogen purged eyepieces on 365astro is actually a well known online ruse to get people to visit your site. It gets used by lots of shops, including John Lewis and the idea is simple. You offer an item, which isn't in stock and won't ever be, at a reasonable price that is a bargain, but still believable. The key is not to let anyone order one. :grin:

Archived