Olll Filters

m helanor

I have a Castell and it's very good on scopes from 6"-16". on a sample of one I'd recommend them but like all budget products the QC can I believe be variable. The best is generally considered to be either Astronomik or Lumicon.

I have recently bought Lumicon OIII and UHC filters and to me they are significantly better than the SW versions. The bandpass is tighter and they show better contrast on objects like the veil.

I think I got mine from Rothervalley Optics if I remember correctly

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Castell and it's very good on scopes from 6"-16". on a sample of one I'd recommend them but like all budget products the QC can I believe be variable. The best is generally considered to be either Astronomik or Lumicon.

This is the one i have too after Shane recommended it to me. Had a chance to compare it with competing from OIII filters from other named brands (Baader and Skywatcher) and can't honestly see a difference. Was £50 well spent for a 2" version. Even if you are only using 1.25" eyepieces but have a 2" focuser its worth considering the 2" version. The filter screws into the 2"-1.25" adapter....if you have one.

Before purchasing, I spent quite a long time trying to educate myself about how these filters work, and the different band passes they have.

Tighter bandpasses give better contrast but dimmer images in smaller scopes. I've still found the UHC and OIII Lumicon filters very effective in my 4" scope, they do benefit from good dark adaptation too though.

This site is useful

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/filters/curves.htm

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much of what you ask is totally dependent on whether you have good clear skies with low light pollution.

OIII will bring out great viewing - however you do need to have the skies to get the benefit - if you don't then I would  go for a UHC

Archived