SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

20" GSO DOB

Daniel-K

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, 18 and 20inch production scopes....... I would never had thought they would break the 16inch barrier due to the difficulties of figuring a mirror that size. They either have eyepiece heights that need a step or they have managed to work out how to consistantly make fast mirrors to a specific standard.

mind you my lightbridge weighs in at over 10 stone so I wonder what a 20 would weigh.

my next stop will be a 18inch f4 ..... but a custom build with nichol optics so its light enough to put in the boot.

cheers

You got it bad Dan.  The aperture fever has truly struck . You only got  that 14 inch recently didn't you ? Steady on my man   :grin:

once i get something in my head no one can stop me!  :evil6:

Until you do your back in one day getting it in the car. :0)

Strangely I found myself using my 5 inch more again lately as well. I suppose that means I am suffering from reverse aperture fever ?

Hurrah I am cured :grin:

Wow, 18 and 20inch production scopes....... I would never had thought they would break the 16inch barrier due to the difficulties of figuring a mirror that size. They either have eyepiece heights that need a step or they have managed to work out how to consistantly make fast mirrors to a specific standard.

mind you my lightbridge weighs in at over 10 stone so I wonder what a 20 would weigh.

my next stop will be a 18inch f4 ..... but a custom build with nichol optics so its light enough to put in the boot.

cheers

I think we are about to see a bit of a break through in these large aperture mass produced designs, you just have to look at the new 12" ES and the upcoming 16" which both weigh very little when compared to the current SW and Meade dobs.

My prediction is that within 18 months those back breaking 16" LB's and 400p's will be a thing of the past. :)

Orion (USA) lists a range of monster dobs from 36" to 50" in aperture:

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Truss-Tube-Dobsonians/Orion-50-Monster-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/29/p/9162.uts

I'm not sure how many have actually found their way into the hands of owners though ?  :undecided:

Some similarities with the new Explore Scientific dobs ?:

http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Telescope-optics/Explore-Scientific-Ultra-Light-Dobsonian-12.html

im just fishing for news to see how long i have to wait/save up if its next year then i may just have to bite the bullet and get a set of mirrors already made and try and find some one who can knock me a scope up to fit.

Orion (USA) lists a range of monster dobs from 36" to 50" in aperture:

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Truss-Tube-Dobsonians/Orion-50-Monster-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/29/p/9162.uts

I'm not sure how many have actually found their way into the hands of owners though ?  :undecided:

Some similarities with the new Explore Scientific dobs ?:

http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Telescope-optics/Explore-Scientific-Ultra-Light-Dobsonian-12.html

Warning

Please note this product was not designed or intended by the manufacturer for use by a child 12 years of age or younger. :p  lol

cheers

I couldn't of put it better myself !

I'll be watching this with anticipation. Am due a tidy payout from work later in the year and had kind of earmarked a chunk of it for a mount that would take my current 10" skyliner and allow me to start ap in the future but the prospect of a 20" dob possibly within my budget is exciting! May just prove too much to refuse ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I emailed gso to see if I could get any more info on this and here's the reply....

Hi James ,

Thanks for your mail. Maybe 20” F/8 RC and 20” F/4.5 Dobs in nex few months. 

regards, 

susan hsu

I also emailed skywatcher to see if they're planning to respond to this move. No reply as yet..........

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Archived