sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Jupiter 25/03 - Bembridge

Not so great early on with variable seeing and some dips in transparency - but my first run of Jupiter looks ok.   Usual setup but not certain of focal length tonight as it was jumping all over the place according to firecapture - lets say F20ish.

RGB vs LRGB:

post-26731-0-68953100-1395792308_thumb.p  post-26731-0-74151300-1395792277_thumb.p

Huge images - sorry should have downsized after processing!

Edited by SnakeyJ
  • Like 4

Ah - comprendo, I cropped the layers but not the image itself - hence the white boarders.

No energy left for another sortie out for Mars - it looks nice at the moment, but I'm feeling destroyed after a long day and need to be compos mentis for some negotiations at work tomorrow. Night all :)

Nice detail. Work and astronomy really don't mix.

Looking forward to seeing your Saturn (in the strictly planetary sense, of course!)

Thanks Paul - too knack'd for Saturn and Mars last night, work has gone a bit daft at the moment so needed to retire!    L and R channels were nice, though G & B were starting to wander.   Recently it seems to be that the seeing is better early and starts to decline as soon as I start rolling!

looking good! some excellent detail visible in around the belts.

Cheers Pete - much appreciated.     

Very nice images again Jake.

Hat off to you for your stamina lately. Myself I've had to sit it out as I've been too tired after a weekend of gardening.

Cheers Lee - planting the veg, or hacking back and taming the jungle ;)?   Hope the back is holding out.

• Like 1

Both Jake.

My two girls have decided they want Rabbits - so I'm clearing out  a veg patch to grass over and preparing another veg patch to supply the Rabbits with food.

Abi and Charlotte have "promised to do all of the looking after and cleaning" - yeh, right. Guess who will end up caring for them.

Lee

• Like 1

Abi and Charlotte have "promised to do all of the looking after and cleaning" - yeh, right. Guess who will end up caring for them.

As a last resort, moderate use of the 'Rabbit Pie' threat should focus their attention - I'm partial to a bit of rabbit myself, though seldom seen in the butchers around these parts!

Some nice detail there

Thanks Michael - somewhat odd conditions last night (other than being able to see anything celestial is at all!) the drop in transparency didn't seem to be related to visible cloud, but was very noticeable - perhaps due to a high level haze?    I was seeing about as many stars as I would expect under a full moon, but without the moons illumination.      Quite pleased with the results though and a shame I couldn't stay out for Mars - the sky looked very clear this morning as the sun rose, hinting at lost opportunity :(

Nice images Jake!  I can't really see a difference between them, it must be very subtle.  Of course it doesn't help that I have been breaking-in new glasses today and my eyes are quite tired!

Angie

• Like 1

Those are fine images Jake. Interesting to see the difference with the "L" channel - a little brighter I think. Great detail and a nice moon!

Best regards,

Ralph

• Like 1

Nice images Jake!  I can't really see a difference between them, it must be very subtle.  Of course it doesn't help that I have been breaking-in new glasses today and my eyes are quite tired!

Thanks Angie - the Lum does bring more detail, but also adds noise to the final result - in preference I prefer the RGB, though it would have been nicer if the seeing had proved more consistent for the G & B channels.    There is always a certain element of navel gazing in this ;)

A very nice image.

I have also found the seeing to be good lately the first hour or two after sunset.

Thanks Martin - I agree on the seeing, the best recently has been early on and 20:00hrs - 21:30hrs has proved best, though I have had better seeing on Mars around 01:30hrs, so it does tend to settle again later on.    Current weather and forecast look grim for the 4 days or so, but might find a few gaps.

Those are fine images Jake. Interesting to see the difference with the "L" channel - a little brighter I think. Great detail and a nice moon!

Thanks Ralph - I might have given more of a stretch to the LRGB image, though the processing was intended to be similar.    Not going to worry too much on this now unless we are rained out for a couple of weeks - lots of better data to play with first!