Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What a fabulous site!

Blind Pugh

My wife lives on the Island of Tiree, just to the west of Mull.  When she and I met for the first time on the island three years ago I was struck by the lack of light pollution and the fabulous array stars visible to the naked eye.  She had been on an astronomy course some years ago and recently I thought it might be fun to buy her a telescope.  I had hours of fun researching and concluded that a Meade Goto was probably best, given that it is reasonably portable and seemed to have good reviews.  I managed to find one and delivered it recently to an excited wife who reports that it has either been raining or cloudy on Tiree ever since! 

Meanwhile, I started to read about astronomy.  My wife had leant me several basic introductions of hers..........I then got the bug. 

I have decided that we needed a telescope in each of our two homes and in Surrey I am going to buy as much aperture for my money as I can.  A Skyliner 200P Dobson looks like the perfect beginners telescope  to me and it was reading reviews on this wonderful site that persuaded me.  I have only seen four or five pages so far, so excuse me if I rush off to discover what other fascinating information I can find on stargazerslounge.com.

Richard

AKA  'Blind Pugh'

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A warn Welcome to SGL Richard! You will find all the answers you need right hear! It's amazing! I too am about to purchase the 200p dobsonian as it comes highly recommended not just on her but by sky at night magazine. Looks like a great scope, I can't wait to get it :)

Clear skies

Shep

Hi and welcome, what a lovely posy, I have just the baby brother, a 150 dob and am delighted with it, I have seen so much in such a short time, you won't be disappointed at all. I went for the 150 instead of the 200 simply because I am very small and needed to be confident carrying outside, they are fabulous scopes.

Welcome to SGL, I also introduced myself to amateur astronomy (properly) with a 200p and it really is a superb scope. Unfortunately I have had precious few chances to enjoy it over the last few months thanks to weather, neighbours and general light pollution but, when I do get it setup, I find myself losing hours roaming around the sky.

For those times that viewing is not possible, I find myself losing hours roaming around these forums :)

Welcome to SGL.

The 200P is a great starter scope but I find modifications have to be made to make it usable.

These are inexpensive to do and don't require great DIY.

See my signature for examples.

I have done a few guides on here, that should give you a starter for 10.

Regards,

Daz.

Sorry forgot to mention, the guides to look for are the lazy Susan bearing and the setting circle mod.

While the setting circle is not necessary, I do think Skywatcher in the infinite wisdom should of introduced a bearing into the 200P like they do on their bigger dobs.

I found my dob base useless until I did the mod.

I have just bought the 200p and it is pretty good even here in Central Scotland. It's a bit low when sitting the base directly onto the ground, so I will be looking to buy or build something to raise it up a bit.

Also, it can be tricky to keep it on objects because it is a Dobsonian, so eyepiece upgrades to something with a wider field of view are on the cards for next season.

I see Daz has a done a few upgrades and I fear I may end up doing the same, as Scotland is just too wet, so everything dew up within a couple of hours.

Good luck and hope you do get the chance to use your scope once you commit to buying one,

Archived