Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

red flash

Joe_L

Interesting visual experience 11pm last night: I glanced up near zenith (in the area between Leo and UMa) and my eye just saw a momentary red flash. At first I thought it was an aircraft (we do live under a high flightpath and I know the flashing light patterns well) but there was no repeat or other lights. There was no visible satellite or meteor moving across. The flash appeared to be stationary, extremely small (starlike size), approx magnitude 2-3ish, and seemed to be exceedingly deep red, short lived ~0.5sec. Sky very clear, good transparency but not the best seeing (say limit about 100x magnification). Reflection off some tinted part of a satellite that wasn't otherwise illuminated? Random high speed particle passing through my retina? Some psycho-active interaction with the home-made curry?

I know it wasn't ET because a single "dit" in Morse is an E and there was no "dah" (T) to follow - more like E than ET!

Thanks Paul, That's interesting. How often have you seen them?   I have sometimes seen a ?white? flash in my peripheral vision during movement which I have always assumed to be a star getting enhanced detection due to movement in the peripheral area - of course it wouln't have colour there. This red flash was right in my core vision zone.

It doesnt happen often,that i have noticed. Its just something that happens time to time. Worst case scenario is that it can be a sign of a detached retina,or a tear (rip) in the retina. Unless it is happening all the time,i wouldnt worry. If you have it bad then go see your doctor. 

The most common cause though is migraine. 

Often get a colored pulsing or flickering in peripheral vision, seems safe to assume its a glitch in my optic nerve and not a physical phenomena in the sky

Exactly. The human eye can also suffer from "flashes" of colour while your eyes are adapting to the dark after been in a well lit environment soon before.

Don't discount the aliens theory too hastily though. I should know as I've seen them, albeit a long time ago.

Do you mean you've observed them through a telescope, or that you've had a much closer encounter?

Either way, it sounds like a good story.... pray do tell. :smiley:

It was during the 70's, at the time when there were lots of alleged sightings of strange lights in the sky. I was in the back garden stargazing without optical aids at home in Stafford when I saw two objects floating side by side across the sky. I say floating because they appeared to bob about a bit as they crossed the sky, but stayed close side by side. They were roughly elliptical in shape, but the shape was not rigid - more like blobs of semi-liquid. They had a dim, greenish glow which was very faint and transparent but which got brighter, more yellow and more opaque towards the centre. I rushed in to grab my binoculars but when I returned they had gone. At the time a lot of the sightings were put down to weather balloons but I think mine were a bit too spooky for that and so I put it down to my adolescent brain playing tricks. I've not seen anything like them since.

Archived