Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting an Orion Optics uk dob- but standard or longer version?

Congratulations, it's a great choice.

I was a complete novice when I bought mine and the instructions weren't as clear as they could be for first scopers. One thing that caught me out was that it included a small extension tube which attaches to the focuser draw tube. Without it the eyepieces wouldn't focus and I of course thought something was seriously wrong, (was it the feared collimation) , until I found out. You're meant to remove this spacer if you use a camera.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike73.....and What's your point if any, I don't see anything wrong? 

(.....Any thoughts from anyone on here much appreciated..........) was a request from neptune1, so I offered my thoughts.

I think neptune1 made a good post, and has made a well informed decision, and is proceeding with that choice. I was`nt critising, merely suggesting that I`m satisfied with my choice, considering the differences between the faster and  larger telescopes, I never suggested anything otherwise.

Would be easier to PM if there' a problem!

This has been a great thread which I have followed closely as I hope to get some cash together and have seriously considered an OO scope but think I'll probably look for a good pre-owned example.

Enjoy your new toy and don't forget to tell us all about it.

• 1 month later...

I have an f4 12" OOUK scope and find the tube length means that by holding it by the rings on either side and lifting it off the cradle I can easily carry it vertically under my door frames to get it in and out of the house ..much longer and I might struggle.

For me the issue is not with having a very high viewing height but back problems with a very low viewing position when looking at objects nearer the horizon which would be an issue with many Dobs. A homemade adjustable seat has been fantastic.. A friend made one for me from the Sky at night magazine plans made from wood.. It helps with both low and high viewing positions as we'll as keeping my head steady at the eye-piece.

Hope you enjoy your scope... It was my first (and only) scope and I struggled with the same decision, but overall I'm glad I went for the f4 for sheer convenience.

I have an f4 12" OOUK scope and find the tube length means that by holding it by the rings on either side and lifting it off the cradle I can easily carry it vertically under my door frames to get it in and out of the house ..much longer and I might struggle.

For me the issue is not with having a very high viewing height but back problems with a very low viewing position when looking at objects nearer the horizon which would be an issue with many Dobs. A homemade adjustable seat has been fantastic.. A friend made one for me from the Sky at night magazine plans made from wood.. It helps with both low and high viewing positions as we'll as keeping my head steady at the eye-piece.

Hope you enjoy your scope... It was my first (and only) scope and I struggled with the same decision, but overall I'm glad I went for the f4 for sheer convenience.

Thanks Gary

That's good to hear. My back is ok (whether it will be when I get this is another matter!) but I'll certainly get a good adjustable chair once it arrives. How do you find the weight of it for carrying? I'm torn between storing it inside (in which case I'll just need to lift it through the patio doors) or in the shed/summerhouse which is a slightly longer walk but no steps. Decisions decisions...

Thanks Gary

That's good to hear. My back is ok (whether it will be when I get this is another matter!) but I'll certainly get a good adjustable chair once it arrives. How do you find the weight of it for carrying? I'm torn between storing it inside (in which case I'll just need to lift it through the patio doors) or in the shed/summerhouse which is a slightly longer walk but no steps. Decisions decisions...

if it helps, i can carry my 14" no problem and any distance they are very light, it even fits in the back of a honda civic with ease

if it helps, i can carry my 14" no problem and any distance they are very light, it even fits in the back of a honda civic with ease

thanks Faulksy thats good to hear. You're going to tell me you're a 20 stone muscleman aren't you?  :grin:  I'm 5'5 female, not a waif by any means sadly...

thanks Faulksy thats good to hear. You're going to tell me you're a 20 stone muscleman aren't you?  :grin:  I'm 5'5 female, not a waif by any means sadly...

have you seen my pic lol. no they are light to carry, just be aware of the length, the tubes dent easy

I find the f4 12" dob quite ok to move about. My study is close to the front door where I mostly observe, but I am often taking it around the back of the garden. If I am moving it a distance I use gloves which help with comfort and security. Sometimes I hold the bottom of the tube against my middle and angle it slightly so some of the weight is taken up. Make sure your tube rings are tight as the weight can make it slip..squeeze the ends with one hand and tighten with the other. Some buy a third ring which can be used as a stopper so the tube can only slip so far ( you can make cheaper alternatives no doubt and it probably depends how often you adjust the tube in the rings)- I haven't bought a third one yet but often think of getting one.

I store it inside the house as my garage is a tip and standing it vertically on its' cradle it takes up little space. I put the fan on for a while, with an end cover partly covering the end of the tube, when I bring it back into the warmth to let the temperature adjust and then leave it with the bottom of the tube open to the air.

The wooden adjustable seat is fully collapsible.

Archived