Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting an Orion Optics uk dob- but standard or longer version?

Thanks Moonshane. The chap thought the larger tube would be too tall for me to lift on and off. Don't want to bother 'im indoors everytime I need to move it around the garden. Do you find yours a pain to collimate well? Have budgeted for a coma corrector but thought i'd wait and see how it affects me before going ahead and buying. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

an f4 scope is as hard or easy as an f11 scope to collimate. once you get it, the time taken is no different between the two. setting the secondary is pretty much a once only job and although accuracy of the primary adjustment is more critical the faster the scope, I always aim for accuracy even on my f11 dob. I cannot see the point of leaving it a bit out.

It takes me about 30 seconds to a minute while the scope is cooling and then a quick check before you go. it's nothing to be concerned about.

I agree with your approach re the coma corrector. in some ways using it without one first is a good move as you'll really see then benefit once you do - I think you've possibly spent enough for this month :grin:

Congratulations on placing the order  :smiley:

It's so easy to get stuck in a "paralysis by analysis" with these decisions but you have had some great advice from folks who actually own and use these scopes which is invaluable.

It's also easy to buy a load of accessories for a scope which, when you get to use it yourself, you find are not quite for you so it sounds like you have avoided that trap too.

There comes a point though when you have to jump in and see for yourself. I'll look forward to comparing notes with you on observations - these 12" dobs are really potent tools :grin:

I think one thing most people looking through a large dob for the first time are surprised by is planetary performance. they really excel.

Oh yes, especially if they have great quality optics in them !!   :grin:

My ED120 refractor hardly gets a look in these days  :undecided:

Cheers John and Moonshane. Can't wait to get started now. The choice is baffling for beginners and I've really appreciated all the help on here. Feel relieved to have made a decision and can get going.

Hello neptune1

Look forward to hearing how you get on when it arrives. Good choice, but I am biased. Moonshane gave me great advice that helped me decide to buy the F4 version & it has been the most used scope. Even had is out last night in less than favourable conditions. Quick adjust to collimation & Jupiter & the GRS looked pretty good. The night before I was at a dark sky location with some friends & I was set up & observing before they had got half set up. I was blown away at the number of galaxies visible whilst touring around Virgo. Too many to identify. Fantastic! 

Wow Moonshane they look like little and large! I think all Internet based companies should have a photo of each product next to a person for comparison! It would be so helpful. I am both looking forward to and dreading the large packages arriving but to know its only just over a metre in height is keeping me calm.

It is very quick to set up. I take the base out to the garden then the OTA. Next eyepiece case & accessory box. Done. It may take a while for the optics to cool for the best views but you can start observing straight away in about 5 minutes. I usually leave it an hour before I start usually unless the weather window is small.

I have to be honest and say that my F/5.3 12" takes just seconds to set up. Put base out on patio, put tube on base, clip finder to tube. Job done and I can be observing at low power straight away. The shorter tube would be easier to manage for shorter folks I guess although the weight difference is very small.

As someone who has used ultra / hyper wide highly corrected eyepieces for years a Paracorr would have been an absolute "must have" If I'd gone for an F/4 as I concur with Al Nagler "show no field unless it's sharp". 

But it sounds like the F/4 version is the best one for you, and that is what matters most  :smiley:

I also forgot to mention that on mine the eye piece height at zenith is 3'7" but mine is quite low in the rings. Sitting whilst observing makes a huge difference & that is another reason why I love it so much. I can live with the comma for now but I think a paracorr will eventually be required but that is nearly as much as I paid for the scope (second hand). 

It is often said that the best telescope is the one you use the most. When aperture fever took hold I was struggling to convince myself that I would actually get to use a larger scope very often. Particularly when I heard some of the difficulties people have with skywatcher dob bases & the mammoth weight of the OTAs. Then I discovered OOUK & the comments from owners on here made owning a reasonable aperture scope practical. I am convinced that I will not get anything bigger, we'll see. But I am sure you will have a lot of fun & get to see lots. 

So I ordered an f/4 on a dob mount in the end with the 1/10 optics. It's coming with an angled finger and a plate to mount at a later date. The chap assured me it would only need an occasional tweak so I'l hold him to that!

Congrat's on your new scope  :smiley: Hope it's not arriving before the weekend as I am having a few friends/stargazers over for a star party  :eek:  :grin:  But seriously I think most on here would have loved to start their astro hobby with a 12" scope :smiley:  Will look forward to your first light report and a photo or two.  :smiley:   

neptune1.........Hi, welcome to SGL. I bet the wait and  excitement is killing?

Just my thoughts here, but the kit that I purchased more than satisfies my need for Astronomy. I'm reading all the time,  that anything bigger is always better with regards to aperture, especially for deep space, but bigger brings along all sorts of issues as regards corrective eyepieces, correctors, difficult collimation, hard to move around, too heavy, too tall, the list goes on.

The 8" is the UK's most popular size and for many reasons. Collimation is collimation, no matter what size Newtonian your using, and if it is not done right, then the results will be poor on any scope. Folk say that on larger aperture fast focal ratios, the collimation is critical. Its critical on any scope. No-one collimates to just close, its collimated to the users best understanding and eyesight.

Telescope choice was easy for me after messing with an acquired Celestron 127 EQ. Choice of lenses was also easy, and very good lenses they are on my f/6 scope. To be honest, I had the choice of any telescope out there, but I had to be sensible,  my mortgage paid off, was more important. I'm still glad I chose the Skyliner. The only advantage that anything larger now offers me is image scale and contrast. I have now seen the Great Red Spot and Moon transits over Jupiter, I should move onto the next target, as there are thousands up there, but no rush for me. I wish you well with your new telescope. Pity you can't use it now while the nights still have several hours of darkness.

neptune1.........Hi, welcome to SGL. I bet the wait and  excitement is killing?
Just my thoughts here, but the kit that I purchased more than satisfies my need for Astronomy. I'm reading all the time,  that anything bigger is always better with regards to aperture, especially for deep space, but bigger brings along all sorts of issues as regards corrective eyepieces, correctors, difficult collimation, hard to move around, too heavy, too tall, the list goes on.

For what its worth I think that Neptune1 asked some well thought out questions and got many excellent and honest replies, all of those replies cover the 'issues' that you mention.

Congrats Neptune1 on picking what I think is THE best all round visual scope on the market and dont worry about the nights drawing out, picture yourself on a hot summers evening just after dusk with a glass of wine getting some amazing views of Mars and Saturn as well as many other objects! 

Oh and welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks very much. I'm looking forward to it coming, timing wasn't the best but will be a bit warmer and like Mike73 says I can have a little tipple in the sunset and harden myself up for the winter season. I'm a night owl so this interest will suit me well. Was very hard to decide against the taller scope- as I know coma might now be an issue- but a choice had to be made between that and ease of use for a short person :grin: . Barry at OOUK advised, based on my height that I might need help moving it and that would have been very annoying. So a compromise was made and it should fit easier in the car too.

The forum has been very helpful as I truly didn't have a clue about equipment. I still know very little and I'm anxious about collimation and what eyepieces to use for what but at least I can now get started. At least my knowledge of the sky isn't too bad so just need to get over the technophobia and I'll be away. There's a couple of good astro societies near me so I'll hopefully learn some good stuff there too.

Congratulations  on a cracking scope, good choice :). No doubt  you'll have much pleasure form it.  Not that I ever looked through one but my dream scope and if cost and things like size for transport were not a consideration so much, one of those 1/10 PV VX10L or VX12L on a Dob mount would have been my ideal choice.  I think I'll still end up with one of those in years to come anyway, when I have stretched out my car a bit and other more important things have sucked up the cash flow as bit :D

Enjoy :smiley:

AlexB67 there is aways some other financial priority isn't there? Normally for me annoyingly boring and expensive things like a broken boiler. This is my mid life crisis  :laugh: 40th birthday present to myself so I ignored all the voices in my head telling me to be more sensible. I won't think too much about the cost or I'll have palpitations. I'm certain now I've bought it we will have monsoon weather the rest of the year and I'll discover the house is riddled with dry rot  :grin:

Archived