Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Proper Galaxy - M81 - At Last!

PhotoGav

Here it is, my first 'successful' galaxy with the newly (though quite a while ago now...) acquired Celestron 8" EdgeHD.

M81, Bode's Nebula:

post-29321-0-30050700-1395597883_thumb.p

Taken on 22-03-14. 10 x 1200s subs at 800ISO, calibrated with darks, flats & bias. Stacked in Nebulosity 3, processed in CS3.

This has taken me an age to get. The Edge has pushed my patience to new limits. However, using the Celestron OAG, I am finally managing to guide the great big thing for long enough to gather some usable data. Having wanted to throw the scope out of a first floor window, I now cradle it like a proud Daddy. Shame that I am using the 60D and not a lovely cooled CCD, but there we go. My bank balance has almost reached zero... I have started saving for the next astro-acquisition.

All opinions, advice and comments gratefully received. Especially comments on processing please as there are all sorts of strange light and dark bits...!

Clear Skies All!

Thank you folks.

Last night, while photographing M82 (had to be done, M81 was feeling lonely without its regular companion!), I discovered that I didn't have dithering activated in APT. Unfortunately that was right at the end of the session, but hopefully it will unlock another level of quality for the next project.

Clear skies!

Cheers Owmuchonomy.

A small session really, the best pics I've seen have hours and hours of data, so 3 hours 20 minutes is just the start of this image! It needs quite a few more hours to improve it. As for when I'll be able to acquire that data... With this weather it could be years!

I used 49 darks.... Not taken at the same time, but a few months ago in my fridge! Fridge darks seem to work perfectly well. I just had some pretty strange looks from my wife and children when I set up the laptop with a cable running into the meat compartment of the fridge...!

• 2 weeks later...

Ace image, Gav, I really like this one...as to processing, even when I use flats, sometimes, I make "my own" flats from the image, there are 2 ways I know, they work out just abt. the same. You may want to check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTEVMH_WE80 , it's a tutorial by Doug German on gradient removal..been fighting that particular beast for a while,m and this works well. 

Andy

Thank you Andy. I will definitely have a good look at the tutorial and give it a try. What with clear skies, but an increasingly bright moon about, gradient removal will be even more necessary for now!!!

Archived