Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good transparency tonight?

mdstuart

Still a wonderful, cloudless, deep blue sky here.

I was going to have a lie in this morning ready for an overtime night shift tonight but it's too nice to be in bed :)

Looking back on last night I think my highlights were M3 and that shadow transit across our Jovian friend. 

Mars was let down by the seeing.

All that remains now is for me to transfer the scope and paraphernalia from the kitchen to its home in the garage.  

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stunning, stunning night here. I could only be out for a couple of hours because of Monday Obligations. I really disliked having to pack up.

Last night had a real dark-sky quality to it with countless stars - the common adage 'diamonds on velvet' springs to mind here. Hoping that one day I will be free from my obligations enough to pull all-nighters. Should have stayed out there anyway as I was too stoked to go to sleep until 3am! :D

Should have stayed out there anyway as I was too stoked to go to sleep until 3am! :D

Now that is when you know you've had a good night!

I usually have a couple of Brandies after a good night otherwise I get into bed close my eyes and can still see galaxies! :)

Was cloud cover at 10pm down our way, but I woke up at 2:15 to clear skies and a 50% moon just starting to lift off.  I'd say the transparency was very nice and the air was still.  I continued with Canes Venetaci to bag new galaxies M94 (wonderfully bright!) and M63.  NGC4449 is very bright and the view of M51 and NGC5195 looked like two fuzzy eyes looking back.  Nice detail.

Bitten by all this 'Mars Fever' I looked this morning, but had to wait for it to come around to the backyard at 4am.  it is really starting to plunge to the horizon by that time of day, and subject to a fair amount of distortion.  I could make out some details such as a dark patch in the upper left (inverted view). 

Hope others enjoyed good conditions.  I missed what might have been a better Saturday night.

Still sunny here but high cirrus is moving in ahead of the rain band that was expected to arrive a bit earlier than this.

I took the doodle for a long walk on the beach this morning wearing only a T shirt (oh and pants as well, I think?). It was borderline warm enough. Or was I kidding myself :D

I had good transparency last night but not great seeing. Couldn't make out the GRS although I tries various lenses. Wasn't worth trying anything above 120x, if that. Couldn't get any joy out of mars - a distinct and decent size disk yes but no detail whatsoever. Tried a few coloured filters with Mars and Jupiter just to see what they do (not much!!). Content with M3, M57, M64 and a few others in that area. Spent a while lying back just using my naked eyes and learning some more star names and positions. Finally packed it in about 1:30am with Saturn just peeping over the local roofs so I took a quick peep  - lovely to see as a final image on the retina before retiring.

Joe

Still sunny here but high cirrus is moving in ahead of the rain band that was expected to arrive a bit earlier than this.

I took the doodle for a long walk on the beach this morning wearing only a T shirt (oh and pants as well, I think?). It was borderline warm enough. Or was I kidding myself :D

This morning, it was -4. That isn't T-Shirt and Breeches weather. ... :D

However I'd trade warmth for the stunning skies we had last night.

Nor even t-shirt and beaches weather :)

I think we had the hardest frost last night in more than twelve months.

James

However I'd trade warmth for the stunning skies we had last night.

It did reach 12 deg around noon.

The stiff breeze did temper the heat though :D

Paul, you are one tough cookie! :)

Not at all !!

The worst thing about hypothermia is that you stop feeling cold :D

For my observing session last night I had a thick hoodie under my storm proof, quilted all in one suit!

Not at all !!

The worst thing about hypothermia is that you stop feeling cold :D

For my observing session last night I had a thick hoodie under my storm proof, quilted all in one suit!

Pah! I was in shorts and crocs!!..... and yes my toes were numb!

:-)

Stu

Archived