Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR - Piggybacking

Hey, I was looking to piggyback my DSLR on my scope to do some widefield shots and i just wondered if/how other people are doing this? I did see someone say they used a gorilla pod.

You could also get a tripod head to attach to the piggyback screw, that will give you a bit more room and you can adjust the position of the camera. The problem with the ring above is that you can't move the camera up or down, and if you point it ahead then the end of the tube gets in the way unless you use a long lens. I now use a ring which was custom made by Orion Optics many years ago, it has a bit on it that sticks out so it's not too close to the telescope tube and to that I've attached a tripod head which I bought to £5.

I do mine as per the image above and always have on a 75-300mm lens.

With a MD on and polar aligned the best I can I get far higher exposure times that I could manage with a tripod.

For example last night I was doing 15 seconds on Pleiades at 300mm, 25 seconds on the BeeHive cluster at 75mm and 45 seconds on M81 / M82 at 75mm.

Where Prime Focal imaging is out of the question this is seriously a great way of taking some longer exposure images where you have a MD.

I have that piggyback attachment thing on my tube rings, but how exactly do I mount my camera on it? Every time I've tried the camera ends up in a weird angle, when I want it to point at the same thing my scope is pointing at. Do I need to buy something else or am I missing something? Or both?

If your on an EQ mount where the scope tilts to the side like mine with the longer lens I then make sure that the lens buts up against the EP or finder scope so that it doesn't slip and hopefully reduce and movement or vibration.

Archived