Color CCD camera recommendation under £1000

russp

trying to wade my way through the options for the above and my brain is going mushy ... can anyone help? Budget is a grand, colour CCD for deep sky imaging wanted. What are the pros and cons of what's out there please? Scope and mount as sig. 

I guess there's a couple of choices in that bracket that I can think of.

1) Atik 314L+ - A super camera that has been the entry level for many folks into CCD imaging. The 285 Sony chip is an absolute corker and very well considered in AP. It's a small chip though, so I think you really need to think hard about this and spend some time on the fov calculators to see how you feel about it.

2) QHY8 - A big sensor (APS sized) and liked by many. I can not speak from experience with the QHY as I've never used one. You hear good and bad on the forums, but from what I understand they have really upped their game in recent years. There's a few folks with the QHY8, hopefully they'll say a few words about it.

3) Atik 383 - There's an outside chance that you could pick one of these up second hand for your budget. Not sure though about it as I've never really read a lot of good stuff about the 8300 chip in OSC.

Just a couple of ideas. Hope that helps.

If you're looking for a colour CCD with a budget of £1k, then the QHY8L should be on your short list.  The build quality of the QHY cameras has significantly increased over recent times and they offer a lot of bangs per buck.

Archived