Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR Question...

my sister has a DSLR that I can use for my telescope. Do I need anything other than a camera mount and an adaptor? Im not sure which of those I'd need, but I assume that would be easy.  Also how hard is it to use a DSLR without a motorized EQ mount. I currently have an EQ mount but it is not motorized.  Thanks for the help!

First, I don't know what sort of telescope you have or the mount that it sits on so my answer must be a bit qualified.

It may or may not be easy to fit the DSLR but the main problem (assuming that you can fit one) is going to be that the stars etc are on the move all the time so you will find it virtually impossible to get any non blurred results at any shutter speed under about 1/500 so that is going to limit you to taking shots of the Moon. Anything fainter will just not be possible. 

You could always just take shots with your camera on it's own on a tripod where you can probably get away with 20 sec exposures to take shots of constellations or the like. 

Secondly you could also try taking shots using a compact camera or smartphone by holding it up to the eyepiece of the scope but, again, you will be limited to shots of the Moon.

Sorry to be pessimistic but Astrophotography is really not easy and needs a lot of investment to get worthwhile results.

Best wishes

Peter

If the camera is anything other than a pretty newer version Canon you might have some issues using it and not be able to get the most out of it with most imaging programs nowadays. Just a thought.

Not sure but you may have difficulty in getting sufficient focussing movement to focus the camera. As Peter said above, to start with you may be better off putting the camera and it's lens on the tripod and taking wide sky views. If you know someone with a camera, t-ring and adaptor or you can visit a local club or friendly astro shop, you could try it first before making a purchase. Whatever the outcome you will be severely restricted with what you can do with the scope on an un-motorised mount.

Archived