IR Filter - is this normal??

Just modded a Lifecam Cinema HD (removed lens and uv/ir filter from the sensor) webcam and fitted it in a Billetparts housing and hooked it up to check I can get focus.

Just popped it onto an ED80 and pointed out through the window.

Bear in mind its a target 2 miles away through triple glazing, semi dark and blowing 85 knots of wind so its a very poor image but it proved I can get focus

BUT

I fitted a Revelation Astro IR cut filter on the end of the Billetparts housing - its a brand new filter and the edges of the image are terribly red - if I remove the filter the whole image is very red (which expected).

Is it a poor quality filter or am I being thick ???

Capture 20_03_2014 18_36_13.bmp

Would it be because the whole camera insides are designed to have the ir filter closer to the sensors?

Because you look at every filter that has been removed, they pretty much sit on top of the sensor.

I have the same camera but no filter otherwise I would have tried it out for you to see if it done the same.

Archived