SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

An open invite to stargaze

Hobsey do you happen to own a focal reducer for the C8?

No, not yet but it is on the cards.

If you're planning on upgrading to 2 inch eyepieces then I wouldn't bother unless you're planning on imaging with it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah was talking with Matt about it today, were thinking to go visually if its not fully clear anyway and not give in to slightly cloudy nights! If its rubbish then we'll reschedule for another time. Fingers and toes crossed though! Would be nice to a get an imaging sesh in whilst the moons down.

Gonna keep a close eye on all the weather sites as we get nearer.

Its looking clear for this evening so I may pop up there to test out the new binos.

If someone wants to give me an idea on camera settings for a standard 18-55mm lens, I will take my tripod up there and try to get a wide angle shot of the skies to show you what they are like.

Lens as wide open as it will go, so f3.5 or thereabouts at the 18mm end. Whack up the iso to 1250 or 1600. Point the camera at the skies and set the exposure to 30 seconds. You'll be best off doing this in manual mode :)

Experiment maybe with iso 800 and try to get some pics from horizon up to zenith ;)

Have fun!

Lucky guys for getting out last night. I popped in my garden and spotted m97 as a new one to me after spending a minute with m13 and Mars. Went on to try and see if any of the Markarians Chain is visible and its hard to tell without having seen it before.

Lots to hunt down tomorrow, and the weather is looking GOOD!

Looking forward to meeting you Hobsey.

Sounds like someone got spoilt looking through a dob last night ;)

It's painful going back to a mak after looking through a big 10" light bucket. Because of this I intend on getting Tiny back with full aperture envy and getting something silly like a 16" flex tube.

The focal reducer will do you a nice favour though. I'm almost tempted to run up to the wide screen center today and pick one up!

Weather looking better for tomorrow again, might be in for a treat.

Good to meet you last night matt. You certainly have a trained eye for the fuzzies.

Anyways, looking good for tomorrow again.

Likewise... though it's no longer last night :)

Between work and cursing the clouds I haven't been about much over the last few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived