548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

Opticron 2" dielectric diagonal

Has anyone out there any experience of the Opticron 2" dielectric push-fit diagonal?  There are a number of them for sale at a very good price at Telescope Outlet and wondering if they are any good. I think Opticron (distributor of Vixen) is a well respected brand and these seem too good to miss.

I have just picked up an immaculate second-hand one.  Very happy with the build quality and optical quality.  William optics push fit to SCT adapter fits also.

I have just picked up an immaculate second-hand one.  Very happy with the build quality and optical quality.  William optics push fit to SCT adapter fits also.

Thanks sbj, that sounds encouraging.  These new diagonals are retailing for £59 plus £10 postage which I think is pretty reasonable.

I previously had a revelation astro 2" quartz dielectric which retails at around £80 plus postage and the Opticron is every bit as good in terms of build.  I certainly notice no optical difference.

I previously had a revelation astro 2" quartz dielectric which retails at around £80 plus postage and the Opticron is every bit as good in terms of build.  I certainly notice no optical difference.

The Opticron sounds like a good diagonal, I already have an Ascension so will be interesting to compare the two. Thanks for your comments.

The Opticron sounds like a good diagonal, I already have an Ascension so will be interesting to compare the two. Thanks for your comments.

The Opticron is a good diagonal. If you already have an Ascension 2" dielectric I strongly suspect that the performance will be identical. 

The Opticron is a good diagonal. If you already have an Ascension 2" dielectric I strongly suspect that the performance will be identical. 

Thanks John that's helpful. Yes I have an Ascension 2" diagonal which I have found pretty good so look forward to delivery of the Opticron - and some clear nights!!  

I have found the Ascension 2" performs well with my 26mm Ostara 2" eyepiece.  Orion and M42 is just fantastic and I can spend much of an observing session just gazing at the enormous FOV filled with stars and the nebula.

• Like 1

Thanks John that's helpful. Yes I have an Ascension 2" diagonal which I have found pretty good so look forward to delivery of the Opticron - and some clear nights!!  

I have found the Ascension 2" performs well with my 26mm Ostara 2" eyepiece.  Orion and M42 is just fantastic and I can spend much of an observing session just gazing at the enormous FOV filled with stars and the nebula.

Sorry John, forgot to say when viewing Orion I use my 120mm Startravel rich field scope.

I have a 2" Opticron diagonal. Excellent quality and optics. I think diagonals are overhyped personally, but this one is as good as any out there IMHO. I think they may have sold out now though!

For what it's worth I think the best diagonal I've ever used (for combination of weight, mechanics and optics) is the Takahashi 1.25" Prism diagonal. Costs around £79 and is of superb quality, with a compression ring tightening collar that is so simple yet so effective...no more risk of valuable eyepieces falling out!

good luck

Dave

Has anyone out there any experience of the Opticron 2" dielectric push-fit diagonal?  

Very happy with the build quality and optical quality.  

These new diagonals are retailing for £59 plus £10 postage which I think is pretty reasonable.

I have a 2" Opticron diagonal. Excellent quality and optics. I think diagonals are overhyped personally, but this one is as good as any out there IMHO. I think they may have sold out now though!

They are still available  :smiley:

Opticron 2-inch Dielectric Diagonal 

Steve

Received mine today - thanks FLO.

I wasn't really looking for another diagonal as I already have a WO 2" one, however I mainly use it on my ZS66 with a SCT adapter as it's the only real way I can achieve focus, this does however that it's not readily usable on my Lyra. So when the Opticron offer came into my inbox, I looked at the positive reviews and, with it being at such a good price, I thought it was worth getting one to use solely on the Lyra.

My initial thoughts...

- Build quality is very good, very solid, with an excellent finish. No grease, no burrs, no chips, no blemishes, etc

- It comes with a 2" to 1.25" adapter that has a compression ring linked to an elongated knurled screw which doesn't foul on the diagonal itself and is easy to turn.

- The diagonal itself is angled at the base of the male end, so won't slip out of your scope so easily.

- The mirror looks as well as it can to the naked eye, with no blemishes or distortions that I can see.

- Basically, it has everything you would expect in a diagonal costing much more.

So far I'm not dissappointed, to me it compares very well with my WO diagonal.

At this price I don't think you (or I) can go wrong.

Best,

Ian

Having read all of your replies (thank you all) it seems that I made a good choice in ordering the Opticron 2" dielectric diagonal.  Only trouble is I didn't order from FLO and still awaiting delivery of mine!!