Celestron x-cel

Steve_meg

I am looking at getting a few better eyepieces. Now I have seen a celestron x-cel secondhand and was wondering of there is much difference between them and the newer x-cel lx eyepieces?

Also my friend got some bst eyepieces which I think are good quality. However his 8mm takes some getting used to as you need to have your eye off the eyepiece a little. Are the celestrons worth the extra

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think, from what I've read, the newer X-Cel LX are a fair bit better optically than the older X-cel.

Regarding the BST, I think these have a twist up eye cup that can be adjusted up or down to suit the user. When you say you have to hover over the eyepiece, it sounds like the eye cup is in the down position and you are possibly getting black outs from getting too close to the lens?

Although I've used neither, I've read that the BST and the X-Cel Lx are pretty much evenly matched optically.

the Celestrons have great reviews and from what I've read the newer ones are far superior than the older ones, BSTs also get dragged into any eyepiece convo so they must be pretty decent!, also have you looked at televue plossls, televues are pretty elite when it comes to eyepieces and you can pick a lot of plossls cheaper than the xcels

I have the 5mm and 7mm X-Cel LX and find them very good in my 8" dob. They come up quite frequently second-hand. I have no problem with eye positioning with either.

The Williams Optics SPLs also work very well in my 'scope.

Yep, plossls, such as Televue and the Vixen NPLs are also a very good option, but the eye relief gets pretty tight at the shorter focal lengths.

Cheers

The X-Cel and X-Cel LX have no relationship to each other - other than the similarity of name. I don't think they're even from the same factory. The original X-Cels had a lot of kidney-beaning issues, whereas the X-Cel LX are very easy to look through.

I find the BST's ample for what I want them for, of course i'd love to be able to grab hold of a top of the range eyepiece just to see what the real difference is on eye impact, but alas I make do with what I regard as a nice bit of kit. The eye cups do move up and down which is a bonus and they do look nice too.

Thanks for the input, think I will give the x-cel a miss. Will have a look for a good secondhand eyepiece and get a 15mm bst.

Also my telescope is a c8 f/10, so from what I understand some eyepieces won't work so well with a fast telescope

a set of 5 X-Cel  LX eyepieces (5/7/9/12/18/24) came up on ebay yesterday with a buy it now of £115. They went in a matter of moments and the buyer is either happy with the bargain or will double his or her money by moving them on. Bargains are out there

a set of 5 X-Cel LX eyepieces (5/7/9/12/18/24) came up on ebay yesterday with a buy it now of £115. They went in a matter of moments and the buyer is either happy with the bargain or will double his or her money by moving them on. Bargains are out there

a set of 5 X-Cel  LX eyepieces (5/7/9/12/18/24) came up on ebay yesterday with a buy it now of £115. They went in a matter of moments and the buyer is either happy with the bargain or will double his or her money by moving them on. Bargains are out there

Don't know what happened there^^^  I bought these(to keep) cant believe how cheap they was.

Just sold most of my revelation's so i could buy a couple after seeing good reviews of them.

Rick

I have used the 12mm and 9mm on the 8-inch dob

At the price point the standard Reveleation Plossls are very good.

But eventually you will need:

- a wider view,

- better eyerelief if using 6mm or 4mm

- and better light transmission for faint stars and darker areas of sky.

I am buying a 6mm Delos to replace the excellent views from my 12mm barlowed.

That's how good I think the Revelation is.

The only drawback for me is the narrow 52-degrees.

The 12mm Revelation is ideal for planets (e.g. detail on Jupiter)

but it is fustratingly narrow on the moon where I like to browse around the lunar landscape.

I still keep the barlowed 9mm with the 8-inch dob for overkill magnification at 290x.

Once every few months the seeing is good enough to offer superb views of the moon craters.

I also have the 42mm 2-inch revelation eyepiece.

This one is not so good.

The problem is likely to be the 7mm exit pupil, so my fault for chosing that size.

I should have gone for the 30mm instead.

Good deal there, I was looking on eBay so you must have been quick.

I take it the revelation ep aren't that good? I was considering them as I did have a revelation focuser which was good qualityI 

I just turn the computer on to have a quick look and they was at the top, so had to buy them :smiley:

The revelation are really good value for money but i had read loads of good things about the x-cell lx's so thought i would try them out.

I would definitely recommend the revelation i had mine for a couple of years and was much better than the one's you get as standard. 

I have all the x cell lx eps the dog is the 25mm in both my sct 9.25 and 16" reflector but the rest work well in both I mainly use the 18/12 mm in my reflector and I love the sharp bright views. I like them I also have a couple of the others and they not bad

Pat

I have all the x cell lx eps the dog is the 25mm in both my sct 9.25 and 16" reflector but the rest work well in both I mainly use the 18/12 mm in my reflector and I love the sharp bright views. I like them I also have a couple of the others and they not bad

Pat

I have the X-Cel LX 25mm and it's wonderful in all my scopes. I think you got a bad sample. I also have the 5mm which is great for planetary - very sharp.

Well I have seen a x-cel lx, a televue plossl and a few others so will have to have a think.

In the mean while I got a meade 4000 26mm and a celestron 12.5 Halloween plossl as they went cheap on eBay.

Any idea what the Halloween edition is and if it is any good?

Archived