SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrophotography with webcam

Any suggestions about what webcam to use for astrophotography! ........ i searched a lot but i could not decide between the one with cmos and one with ccd!.......i dont know if these two sensors are too different?..........anyways any advice?

(ill be starting off with digiscoping lunar and other solar objects before buying a dslr and an apo refractor)

What's your budget?

The webcam will only be useful for solar system objects, not any good (though there are always people who achieve impressive things) for anything outside the solar system.

What scope and mount are you using? (I can't see signatures in case it's there)

Jd

Lots of people start out with one of these:

Philips spc900 (or 880 flashed to 900) (Http://m.ebay.com/itm/151255099914?nav=SEARCH)

Toucam (http://m.ebay.com/itm/291090652030?nav=SEARCH)

Logitech quick pro 4000 (http://m.ebay.com/itm/141224108740?nav=SEARCH)

All of which need modifying (if not already) and have a nose piece (http://m.ebay.com/itm/261411624581?nav=SEARCH) fitted to make then slot into the 1.25" focuser.

Links here are for ideas, and prices, bot to click "buy now" as you need to do more research and work out what is best for you. There are also so many sub-models and variables with all these webcams, you need to be careful about what you are buying.

Have a look in the planetary and lunar imaging sections of sgl, and search for webcam, and see what devices people are using with a similar scope to you.

Good luck

Jd

Just search for "webcam" on here, i just had a look and there are hundreds of threads, and lots of them include discussions about webcams and the various types which people have modified, and advice on modifying and flashing them and using them.

Jd

Astropheonix, it doesn't have to be a last question, keep asking away, there are 30000 members on here, someone will always be able to help :)

I don't know enough about the ins and outs of the technology to advise on the cmos / ccd question. Imm just reading a book called "introduction to webcam astrophotography" by robert reeves, and while some of it is dated, lots of these things are touched upon.

One thing he is suggesting is that ideally you want a device with usb 2.0, as it will permit faster frames rates (above 5 fps) than usb 1.0, and not need the data to be compressed. If you private message me i could email you a scanned page from the book.

Again, search sgl for "ccd cmos" and i am sure this discussion will already have taken place by very knowledgeable people.

:)

Jd

Archived