Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10mm Delos V's 9mm SLV Vixen (Solar only)

Pig

I have just received my 2 Vixen SLV eyepieces this morning 25mm & 9mm.

Delivery was as prompt as ever (Thank you FLO)

Here goes the review

Seeing conditions

Fast moving cloud but clear blue sky in between

Equipment

Scope - Lunt 60mm Ha

B600 blocking filter

Mount - AZ4

10mm Delos

9mm Vixen SLV

Build Quality

The build quality of the Vixen does not match that of the TV, but on the whole they look and feel very good, after all they are less than half the cost of the TV's

For example: the adjustable eyecup feature wobbles from side to side in all positions with the Vixen whereas the TV is solid throughout the travel.

This example is typical in all areas of the build quality. (not a complaint just an observation)

The weight

Vixen = Approx 140 grms

Delos = Approx 400 grms

This can be quite important to balancing a solar scope depending on your mount. However, this had no effect on the operation of the AZ4 whatsoever.

What you see through them

I was switching between eyepieces quite quickly as to avoid the ever changing solar conditions having too much of an impact on eyepiece comparison. I am not sure if this was the correct method but I think it is very applicable when viewing the sun.

Delos = 50 x mag - Degrees coverage = 1.4

Vixen = 55 x mag - Degrees coverage = 0.9

Note 0.6 of a degree fills the objective almost completely

The above coverage gave quite a nice size to the sun for both eyepieces but I preferred the Vixen as the image was bigger.

Comparing prominences - both were excellent but the vixen was slightly better for contrast

Comparing surface granulation - both were excellent. but in this instance the Vixen was notably better

Comparing other surface details was quite difficult but once again I would put the Vixen on top

Comparing colour was difficult, the Vixen was slightly redder, the Delos was more orange

Summary

The only area where the Delos came out on top, other than the afore mentioned build quality, was the forgiving nature of eye positioning, hence greater comfort. The Vixen on the other hand is very fussy and you will need statue like posture even when seated, in fairness I got used to it very quickly so not too much of an issue.

I will be using the Vixen for Solar viewing from now on. (The 3-6mm Nagler Zoom being the exception to the rule  :laugh: )

I am very impressed indeed from what I have just witnessed especially under not very favourable conditions.

Maybe the 10mm SLV will be even better as others have expressed a preference for 10mm

Thank you

Shaun

Nice report. I wonder how the SLV stacks up for nighttime viewing against the Delos.

I had not even heard of the Vixen SLV until now. Guessing its basically a MkIII version of the old Vixen Lanthanum (and previous NLV). Specs appear to be identical again. Lanthanum glass, 20mm ER and 50deg AFOV. Be interesting to know how well they sell in these days of Superwide (68+), Ultrawide (82) and Megawide (100) eyepieces. Even 60deg was looking on the skimpy side.

I was a huge fan of the original Lanthanum, never tried the NLV though.

Russ,

Thank you, I have not owned any Vixen eyepieces prior to these so I don't really know how they compare to each other.

As soon as I get a clear night sky I will do a comparison, the Delos are very hard to beat from my experiences :smiley: The SLV will not favour aswell  based on FOV alone.

Wow, the SLVs is getting some hot press on here lately. I eagerly await the dark sky :evil5:  , but no rush mate. Just to add to the pressure  I have stocked up on the  :happy1: in anticipation. :grin:

Good idea to wait until the sales momentum subsides IMHO!lol! :smiley:

Interesting report Shaun. Glad you like the SLV's as well  :smiley:

I didn't find the eye cup on the ones I have too wobbly but the build quality of the Vixen is not quite up to the Tele Vue's that I have, overall. Pretty good though for the price and they "feel" good quality, if you know what I mean.

I did briefly compare the 6mm SLV with my 6mm Ethos and the quality of the view of Jupiter was very similar in both. Difficult to compare a 50 degree eyepiece with a 100 degree one quickly though. 

I need to spend more time with the 3 SLV's I have before posting a fuller report.

Very promising range of eyepieces though  :smiley:

Interesting report Shaun. Glad you like the SLV's as well  :smiley:

I didn't find the eye cup on the ones I have too wobbly but the build quality of the Vixen is not quite up to the Tele Vue's that I have, overall. Pretty good though for the price and they "feel" good quality, if you know what I mean.

I did briefly compare the 6mm SLV with my 6mm Ethos and the quality of the view of Jupiter was very similar in both. Difficult to compare a 50 degree eyepiece with a 100 degree one quickly though. 

I need to spend more time with the 3 SLV's I have before posting a fuller report.

Very promising range of eyepieces though  :smiley:

John, overall I am very pleased with the performance of the 9mm when viewing the Sun, it certainly is worth the price and feels nice in the hand.

The TV's are completely different in every respect though, its like comparing a Polski Fiat to a Ferrari. :smiley:  they are both cars and that's about it !!!

I only have very limited experience with solar viewing but I feel the shorter eyepieces work better on the sun IE the Radian, the 3-6 Nagler and now the SLV's

I certainly didn't have any issues with the SLV as I did the 9mm BGO and I am looking forward to using them both in the Pronto as soon as I get the chance.

The TV's are completely different in every respect though, its like comparing a Polski Fiat to a Ferrari. :smiley:  they are both cars and that's about it !!!

Have to disagree completely there Shaun. I love Tele Vue eyepieces as you know, I've owned most of their models and have done for years but I'm not going to put them on that sort of pedestal !. 

Have to disagree completely there Shaun. I love Tele Vue eyepieces as you know, I've owned most of their models and have done for years but I'm not going to put them on that sort of pedestal !. 

I don't know a polski fiat isn't that big a pedestal

Nice report, Shaun. Though I wish I hadn't read it, because it makes me think about perhaps buying a Vixen zoom for solar (probably using with a screw-on Barlow) :eek::grin:

Certainly worth the money Luke, I was very impressed with the 9mm. The views of the sun were very impressive indeed.

I cant wait to try it on Jupiter especially in it's current position. :laugh:

John, the Vixen's are very good and even to compare them with a Delos says it all, let alone out perform one, which it did :smiley:  But a top quality build like the TV it isn't and I didn't expect it to be.

I thought the Fiat was quite a fast sporty car  :shocked:  Maybe I am thinking of a different one, lets change the Vixen to an MG soft top :laugh:  is that better.

Interesting report. I have just a few comments: The observed colour difference is due to the different brightness (due to magnification differences), as the light is totally monochrome, and colour cast cannot occur.  The brighter the image, the more the green rods in the retina are triggered, hence the more orange colour. I see the same effect in my little LS35 when going from 12mm to 10mm. The other differences in image quality you describe may also be due largely to differences in magnification. In a 60mm scope, moving from 50x to 55x really changes the level of detail, in my experience. When comparing the 10mm XW to a 20mm MaxVision with 2x TeleXtender, I see very little difference, but moving from 12mm to 10, under good conditions, I certainly do.

Having said that, the SLV is clearly well-suited to H-alpha (which does not surprise me at all).

Michael,

I am pleased about your comments as I though I was imagining things, even though I did quite a few comparisons :smiley:  Like you I have also found small changes in magnification can make big differences when viewing the Sun.

When I get the chance I will compare the Vixen to the 8mm Delos as I found the 8mm an improvement over the10mm :smiley: unfortunately I only had the 10mm with me at the time to compare with.

Archived