Narrowband

Just watched the New Cosmos

M4lcs67

Certainly the graphics have been vastly updated (obviously), but the opening programme has been very enjoyable. Neil de Grasse Tyson is very good. I had never seen him before, but I like his style. It would have been wonderful if Carl Sagan was still here, but Neil did a damn fine job. I certainly will be tuning into the rest of the series. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoyed it.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is sort of the natural successor to Sagan, having been directly given encouraging words of wisdom from the man himself...

Tyson needs to write a book now... It should be about 4 square feet in size, with about 8000 pages, and require four men to carry. At least that's what the original felt like.

Watched it last night. I remember watching the original series 30 years ago and it was spell binding. Not impressed with the new incarnation. I felt like I was watching a second rate schools broadcast. I was disappointed with the graphics and the presenting style and overall feel of the show. It just seemed very cheap to me and animated historical sequences were very poor. Although it is unlikely I might give it one more chance but expect to have my impression confirmed if I do. VERY disappointed.

Just missed it due to bday party.

Hope I can find a repeat on another channel/time.

Saw the original Cosmos series with Carl Sagan. They were classic.

Missed it too but seems to be repeated quite a few times this week.

Dave

It's really an amazing show, unfortunately it won't be broadcasted to our region. I had to watch it online through a proxy.

Anyone have any idea if this show will be available on iTunes? I have a U.S. account so I should be able to subscribe to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm the only one but...I was a bit disappointed in the

first episode..

not sure..it just seemed rushed..as if they were too eager to show

a lot of things at the same time.. seems like the director used to make

video clips or something..

Yes...too commercial, less scientific...

Maybe I'm the only one but...I was a bit disappointed in the

first episode..

not sure..it just seemed rushed..as if they were too eager to show

a lot of things at the same time.. seems like the director used to make

video clips or something..

Yes...too commercial, less scientific...

Felt the same way, pandering to low attention spans....I get annoyed with these shows as soon as you get a "coming up" "still to come" type preview. It's a science show, if you're watching it you like science and you will continue to watch it, why feel the need to spoil it for your core audience just to grab the odd channel hopper who see's a space ship, thinks "coo...dat nice......bored" hop. Science is not about short attention spans, so don't try to lure them in, instead save that pander time and use it in another show that explains short attention spans....that show I could understand "coming up" and "still to come" is probably mandatory...

Ooops...ranted...soz :D

Have to say, I didn't think much of it.  Mind you, at risk of being very controversial here but......here goes.............

I didnt rate the original Saagan one either.

the first cosmos was magic. so far this one has not had the magic. the sword is still in the stone.

mike h

I thought it was ok.  Seemed a bit light on content, but I'm hoping that's because it was a series introduction.  I'll give it a few more weeks to see if it picks up.

Whilst the original is (by today's standards) very cheesy, it is well made, well presented and informative. It was also aimed at a population who were less scientifically literate than today's population. Science is now frequently in the mainstream media and is socially 'cool'. I watched the original series recently  and really enjoyed it. I also listen to Startalk Radio regularly and am a big fan of Tyson. The new cosmos however, was a complete let down. As others have said, far too many cheap and poor special effects, not enough content, too much pandering and for some reason a completely different presentation style from Tyson which left him coming across as boring and uninterested.

It's a shame because I have really been looking forwards to this.

Have seen first 2 episodes so far. I felt samea s others that first one was a little corny, but in retrospect it was laying the ground work for what is to come.2nd episode near brought tears to my eyes...I'm hooked. Yes I am old enough to remember the original series and I feel this series is going to be just as great if not better. Just love SOTI, I want one!

Archived