SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter: Ganymede transit, GRS & DSE (wow!)

NGC1023

Hi,

anyone out watching Jupiter now?

Just been following Ganymede in transit, followed by the Great Red Spot. And later tonight there will be a moon shadow race; one hour from from 10:22 GMT onwards Io's shadow will enter and race past Ganymedes shadow. Who would have thought that this event would coincide with clear & steady skies, and reasonable seeing? 

And now the race is on. Conditions continue to be good, and my MAK is in thermal equilibrium. Great views.

I see two of my "co-observers" both are in Surrey, . . . as it happens, so am I.

NGC1023

Nice to see Io emerging spot on time.  Since a slight wind picked up, and made the seeing a bit variable (on-off), I changed over to my 120 mm refractor. Will continue following the double shadow event a bit longer, and then perhaps have Mars for dessert :-)

Was really great until just after 10:45 when cloud started coming and it dipped behind a tree.

Sorry to hear that, got the whole double shadow transit from start to finish just a few miles south of Chelmsford, in Southend. Could see cloud to my west, but it didn't come my way.

Finished up crammed against my back fence to see Ganymede's shadow egress, as Jupiter sank lower in the NW.

Great night, that the full moon didn't spoil, Ed.

Hey Guys,

I was out most of the night taking video files of the event. I captured Ganymede transiting Jupiter together with the GRS and then the double shadow race that followed. I'm attaching a couple of files from the 39 that I took that night.

I was transfixed by the sheer beauty of the event and couldn't take my eyes off the screen. The seeing conditions deterioated somewhat latterly but still got some clear images. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did creating and processing them.

post-35336-0-99860300-1395434980.png

post-35336-0-05857700-1395435014.png

post-35336-0-96740700-1395435039.png

Archived