SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81/82 test - failed - question

legion48

As some of you are aware, I'm limited to shortish exposures with the Alt Az mount. I've spent a while researching what DSO's may be available for me at this time of year and had decided M81/82 may be within my reach. What with the weather we have had lately, I have had only about a half dozen opportunities at these two galaxies (or anything else!) in the last month or so but have been unable to actually see them in the EP, never mind get them onto the Toucams chip. This may be, in part, due to having to setup directly under a damn street light!

Tonight, however, success! - well, sort of. After an Auto 2 star align, I could, with averted vision, just about make out 2 "stars" that refused to focus my 25mm EP. I figured these must be the elusive duo and centered what seemed to be the brightest of the two in my 10mm, with the intention of moving further up to my 6mm before a final centering and popping in the Toucam. Unfortunately I couldn't see a thing in the 6mm so I popped the Toucam in and set it for 5 second exposure and was rewarded with a.....

To cut a long story short, this is what I got with 8X20 and 5x25 seconds....I'm not concerned about the poor result - a dark site, more subs, and winds of less than 30 mph gust will improve that - but I an intrigued by the two stars at 3 O'clock.

I can't find them on my planetarium software. Are they a double? Anyone got a star map with them in it?

Oops, I forgot the image! Here it is:

m81.jpg

but I an intrigued by the two stars at 3 O'clock.

I can't find them on my planetarium software. Are they a double? Anyone got a star map with them in it?

I think they are an optical double they only appear as a double from our prospective, I don't know where I heard that and my be totaly wrong.

Mike.

Archived