Barlows

Charky

just a quick one here.

I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit on spendable funds now after buying the Dob. I do plan to buy myself a nice set of plossls eventually, but for now I figured a barlow was a better investment. I do have the eyepieces from the meade hanging around, so they're always an option, but the 10mm and 25mm skywatcher ones are superior, from what I could tell from compating the 25mms.

Anyway, when I decided to buy the barlow, I realised I had no idea what I was doing. How do you tell a good from a bad? Are there any recommended makes? Is it just wishful thinking to hope I could find a decent available one for change of 20 quid?

You might be best looking at used ones on astro buy and sell or ebay, you will get a revelation astro, celestron omni, gso  or something similar for that money.

I just sold my revelation last week for around that price.

They aren't  the best but they are good value for money.

The Orion Shorty Plus and the Celestron Ultima (same unit) are excellent but will be more like £40-£50 even on the 2nd hand market.

I tried a Skywatcher Deluxe 2x barlow recently and that was surprisingly good for it's low cost. Another decent but cheapish one is the Revelation 2.5x 3-element barlow which I think you can get for around £32 new.

Hello,

instead of Plössl you could consider a 2" Erfle as overview eyepiece and these http://m.ebay.de/itm?itemId=140717462903 will work fine, especially on f/6 or f/8. At f/5 they struggle with the Same issues as Plössl, but their wider field of view makes finding things easier.

A Good Set of eyepieces like the ed Flatfield for the High magnificaions.

If you choose the Barlow path, either the one luminova suggested or another Apochromatic Barlow.

I have a bresser 3x achromatic Barlow, it adds quite anoying color fringe, while the 2x Seben 10gbp achromatic Barlow does not (and that one is similar to all the other 20-40gbp 2x achromatic short style barlow).

Archived