Would like better eyepieces for my evostar 90

Russko13

So I've just had the SW evostar 90 achro ordered for my birthday, it comes with 10mm and 25mm eyepieces but I would like to purchase some better ones ready for when the scope arrives, I've already bought a 1.25 WO dielectric 90 degree star diaganol to upgrade the original 45 degree it comes with, not looking at anything expensive but would consider maybe paying a little bit more for one low power just to have something decent for deep sky observing, will be used mainly as a c

CONTINUED! (Accidently pressed post)

Will be used mainly as a scope for planets and lunar observing so should I look at getting some plossls or wide angle? There's so much to choose from I guess I'm just a tad spoiled for choice and don't know what to go with!

Odd question, but I cannot recall seeing an Evostar 90 coming with the 45 degree diagonal.

The 45's tend to be for a correct image prism and simply cannot recall one being on the Evostar 90.

Any limitations on eyepieces - do you wear glasses?

The Vixen NPL's are fairly good plossl's something like £35 each.

BST Starguiders next in cost, very good reports, £49 each.

Then the Celestron X-Cels, £65 each.

After that come Meade 5000's and TV Plossl's.

Many here, myself included, have gone for the BST's.

Thanks for the replies il have a look at the BSTs and the Vixens and yes it's definately the 45 degree diagonal it comes with, on the az3 mount from FLO

It is listed with a 45 degree diagonal but I expect if you asked FLO they would swap that for a 90 degree one as thats much more suitable for astro viewing.

My Vario finder came with a 45 degree diagonal and I do not like it at all.

As for the eyepieces I would be inclined to use the ones the scope came with first just to see if you are going to stay with the hobby and to gain experience, I am sure many bought a scope and only used it a handful of times and then lost interest.

Adding eyepieces down the road once you are into astronomy is something that I believe keeps us going, the other thing is also it helps you get your eye in, even a super eyepiece to an untrained eye only delivers so much sometimes fine views only come with experienced observing. However if you have to spend then BST's are a very good second base or if you what to push the boat out Maxvisions which are in fact fairly expensive Meades selling cheap are very good indeed.

Alan.

I think I may go for the celestron and spend a little more than thought, Losing an interest isn't on the cards I've been into astronomy since a very young age, have been observing for about a year with bins and tripod, usually get out about two or three times a week for sessions and only reason for the evostar purchase is it's a birthday gift, my plans for an APO are on hold at the moment until my financial situation gets a bit better lol and the reason for not going for the 8inch dob I wanted also on hold as I don't have a car at the moment and getting to my usual observing location of Brecon is out of the question until my cars sorted. Thought an evostar would be a great addition to my bins for the time being

Hi Russko13, the Evostar 90 is an excellent choice and very portable and easy to set up.  Get used to using it first with the supplied ep's as this will help point you in the right direction for further ep choices.  Clear skies!

Thanks for the replies il have a look at the BSTs and the Vixens and yes it's definately the 45 degree diagonal it comes with, on the az3 mount from FLO

So it does. Never noticed that before.

The Evostar 90 is a good all round scope, should easily get enough magnification for Jupiter and with a 7mm or 8mm enough to see Saturn. Mars will be one of those planets that could well be beyond it, equally it will be beyond many scopes that are bigger and longer then the Evo-90. Mars is really annoying, and when it comes round people get really annoyed at it.

Until you are looking at things like Mars and similar like M1 you will have the light collection and magnification you need for pretty close to everything. Ring nebula (M ??) will be nice in that, as will double stars and ones like Alberio, Almaach (pretty coloured ones). Dig out the Caldwell list.

Future advice for the Evostar-90:- Don't let anyone talk you into thinking that you need anything bigger.

Personally I like the 32mm plossls better than the 40's as the 32's show as much sky but with a larger apparent field of view and a bit more magnification which darkens the background sky more helping deep sky objects to stand out.

I was thinking a 32mm-40mm plossl will probably pay the extra and get televues, I'm not liking the exit pupil in the 8mm and 11mm and will prob get a few xcels in the higher mags, cheers for the advice though and I'm not greedy on aperture hence the purchase I've had some great nights just out with my bins and tripod, just always finding myself wanting something for planets and doubles

And as ronin said could be a good little scope for small dsos such as the ring neb, I can't seem to get it in the binoculars from my backyard

The Ring is a pretty tiny object - it's easy to overlook at low power even in a scope ! 

Archived