Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Dave Smith

IC1805 Heart Nebula in Bicolour

It has taken me 4 attempts to get the OIII on this, the first two nights I stopped after the first sub came in but Fri night did get 10 subs but on processing trashed the lot. Last night I collected 20 x 900s subs but only 7 were useable due to passing thin cloud, I just left it going and hoped.

The Ha was taken on 11 March 2014 and was 18 x 600s subs. All were taken through a Canon 200mm f2.8 lens and with an Atik 460EX camera.

Heart-Bi-02.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

Super. I didn't have that pegged as a lens image till I read your description.

Olly

Fabulous image Dave. It gives me so much inspiration to see images that look like they are taken by the Hubble, but are by ordinary, interested and committed members.  Well done.

The clarity and colour is what makes it so great. My son looked at it slack jawed lol

The clarity and colour is what makes it so great. My son looked at it slack jawed lol

So, do we have him hooked into the hobby? :smiley:

Dave

Young kids change there interests with the weather but he seem to be enjoying the night sky for a few months now so let's hope

• Like 1

Ah yes, the Johnson Nebula in the constellation of Scrotus!

Fantastic work Dave and stunning colour scheme - being picky the blackpoint looks a tiny bit clipped on my monitor, but it's stunning.

Ah yes, the Johnson Nebula in the constellation of Scrotus!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Fantastic work Dave and stunning colour scheme - being picky the blackpoint looks a tiny bit clipped on my monitor, but it's stunning.

Thanks Ian. I did notice that as I dimmed the original Ha that was used as luminance that it tended to clip. Without dimming it the colour didn't look right so compromised. Very sharp of you to spot that, and I thought I'd got away with it :grin:

Dave

To be honest Dave I'm usually using my laptop which displays colour very poorly but it just so happens I'm finishing off an image on my desktop and looking at SGL with a much better monitor - otherwise I am certain I wouldn't have noticed!

Really don't mean to be critical though - this is absolutely top drawer stuff!

Edited by x6gas

Very nice rendition of this one Dave - the central Melotte 15 region is well defined as well. Just wondering if the OIII data (blue) could be enhanced a little more?  

Martin

Thanks Martin. It is interesting that you say that about Merlotte 15. In the original Ha it didn't, to me, show that well, but the colour seems to have brought it out. I do have a higher resolution part of that part and so may have a play with blending it in with Registar.

The OIII was actually very weak and I stretched it as far as I dare. I may have another go to see what effect it has.

Dave