Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

complete system failure

nickarp2000

Well I knew it was coming, but last night I thought I would once again continue learning to use my ASI120MM and tweak my planetary education curve.

My NEQ6 pro has been niggly for some time now, having been subjected to continued movements from garage to patio and one major house move in the 3 years since I bought it.

My latitude bolts, even though I replaced them were struggling to tighten against the block in the mount and there was continued play and slight movement in the head.

The large bolt securing the mount to the tripod had bent last year and needed to be replaced, however the new steel bolt I purchase never quite seemed to lock the head to the mount successfully.

Then last night the main head started to rock from side to side where it was secured with the horizontal bolt and 3 grub screws.

I proceeded to strip the mount down and clean all the surfaces that were in contact with each other and re-assembled hoping to reduce the play somewhat.

However it appears as though the mount just doesn't want to play ball, and the rocking and instability still exists.

Time I think to invest in another.

My requirements are as follows and I would like some considered advice as to the best route you think I should take.

1. A mount to be able to conduct planetary imaging

2. A mount to be able to conduct a degree of deep sky work, mainly from bright objects with a dslr

3. A mount suitable for taking the weight of a C9.25 and an ED80 side by side for imaging and guiding

4. A mount in my budget of around £2000

It might be a lot to ask given the budget and I will of course consider all possibilities.

I am going to miss this hobby until I find a solution.

I am not aversed to buying second hand, or dealing with heavy equipment and the storage and imaging area are only 12 feet apart.

I would really welcome any feedback you could give me,

Many thanks

Nick

Archived