Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading to C9.25

YorkieGraham

I am seriously considering upgrading and buying a Celestron C9.25. Does anyone know if I will be able to mount it on my current CG5 mount (you can get a vixen type bar option so maybe you can, but this might come a different width) or would it be best to go for a full set-up with the new VX mount package currently available (with good reviews on this site so far). This will cost me an extra £500 though. My old CG5 seams to track well enough for me to image the planets so I don.t want to change the mount unless I have to. I am not particularly bothered about having go-to as I get pleasure from finding objects manually. Does anyone know if it is a simple task to upgrade the finder supplied with these scopes or do you have to start drilling holes and the same question for if I want to mount a guidescope in the future. Appreciate any thoughts members have.

Upgrading the finder is simple enough - their are screw holes around the base which you can place a new shoe on and off you go.  As for the mount I am not sure - the C925 is a heavier beast I understand so for AP it may struggle, but will leave that to an experienced AP expert to confirm

i sometimes put mine on my EQ5, but it feels a lot safer on my HEQ5. i have done quite a bit of planetary imaging with the C9.25/EQ5 combo though without any problems.

the C9.25 weighs 20 lb which is the limit i think for the CG5 mount, but i am pretty sure that Celestron sell a C11 on a CG5 mount! 

My inexperienced £0.02 worth would be that for adding the guidescope in the future consider an off axis guider as the FL is very long - hence you don't need to worry about top mounting it. If you can afford the upgraded mount then, again, for imaging having the mount with a higher degree of stability with the heavier payload would always be more advisable than pushing the current mount to its limits.

I think it should be ok on a CG5 for planetary use.

Upgrading the finder is simple. I fitted a Celestron 9x50 RACI in a couple of minutes. If you go for a different make of finder you'll need an SCT finder shoe - the holes have a wider spacing than the standard Skywatcher type.

There are screws on the top which can be removed to fit accessories. I have an ADT bar/rings so I can fit my 80ED. You will need a set of imperial Allen keys though as the bolts aren't metric.

If you fit a hefty scope like this to the C925 you will need something like an EQ6 to take the weight.

Had mine a couple or so weeks, its a lovely scope. I have it on my EQ6 set up for imaging so I havn't tried it on my HEQ5 yet but I reckon it would be ok for planetary.  For guiding I use an OAG (built into filter wheel).

I own a C9.25 and have it sat on a CG5. Although I haven't used it for AP (purely visual),but from what I have learnt, this combo works for AP. It is the scope that many aspire to own and it is an excellent piece of kit. As others ave said there is no problem with changing the finder. I switched the supplied one for a SkySurfer V without any problems.

Thanks to all. I have gone and done it now. I have managed to pick up a used set-up in excellent condition and am chuffed to bits. The mount with it is a CGEM so it will do everything I will want to do now and in the future. I just have to learn how to use it now.

Thanks to all. I have gone and done it now. I have managed to pick up a used set-up in excellent condition and am chuffed to bits. The mount with it is a CGEM so it will do everything I will want to do now and in the future. I just have to learn how to use it now.

Would that be the ota and mount that was on Astrobuysell?

If so, green with envy.  :Envy:

Just to comment on changing the finder -- I changed mine to a standard 9x50 finder but I had to fit a new shoe.  I was able to use the existing mounting holes for the standard finder, but needed to buy new screws to fit the shoe as the originals weren't long enough and they're not a metric size.

James

Welcome to the club - I too picked up a 2nd hand package earlier this year and also still learning

Hi for planets it's brill but to do deep sky your gonna need a bit more cash ,finder guider scope and guide cm ect focal,reducer ,I brought mine just for the moon and planet imaging I found it is,not to bad on dso's.

Pat

Just got in from my first session. Set up and star alignment was really easy with the on-screen instructions. (Like most men I didn't read the instructions), but the handset was really good. Couldn't work out how to find particular stars though so will have to do some reading of the instructions later. Learned a great deal though. I wasn't too happy with the sharpness of the image, so I took a deep breath and started to collimate the secondary using procyon. Much better as a result but I think I can get better, Jupiter was looking good, but noticed some fringing. I can't believe its the new scope so have come to the conclusion that it is probably my eyepieces. Anyway, had a great first night with the new set-up.

Archived