SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Chromatic Aberration on SCT

As I got early today (to watch the F1 :grin:)  I noticed Mars was in a reasonable location for some quick viewing.
Once I had set everything up I noticed that I could pick up the rusty pick colour but with no real detail which was no surprise but more importantly I immediately noticed that the planets disk have quite a lot of rainbow colours at one edge. It looks like Chromatic Aberration.

Now I will add that the angle was quite low in the sky, the daylight was coming and my scope was probably still quite warm. Pretty much breaking many of the rules of astronomy viewing! Now it could be for these reasons however I get similar problems when I image Jupiter with my Neximage 5.

When viewing Jupiter I do not seem to see the same effects at least I cannot see them.

I am using a Celestron 8 SE, Williams Optics Dialectic diagonal and Baader Hyperion Zoom eyepiece. So whilst its not high-end its not standard stock equipment either.

As I say I would normally put it straight down to the viewing conditions I had but I can similar results when imaging Jupiter.

Do I have two different problems or one single  issue? I have amended Registax colour settings but I always get a issue with the outer edge fringing with colour (usually blue)

Here is an example of the colour effect I have with imaging Jupiter. I do not use filters just the Neximage 5 camera.

Is it Chromatic Aberration or is this not possible on an SCT? If so how to address this issues?

Thanks.

post-31255-0-71745700-1394955530_thumb.j

With stacked planetary images, there are numerous artefacts, and it's just a case of trying to capture the best possible data, and process it in the best possible fashion without trying to push it too hard. I'm still trying to learn about them both :)

Jd

Thanks for every ones help and suggestions. I think it is likely to be Atmospheric dispersion.

I am sure when Jupiter is high up I see no issues.

Will give RGB Align a look at on Registax to see if I can reduce the blue edge. It seem to always be on the right hand side never around the entire planet.

Archived