Hi I'm stargazing from India!

immeasur

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everyone!

A bit of important details which I missed to mention..

I live in Gujarat, which is west India. Night sky is usually clear and cloud-free. I live in a mega city, Ahmedabad.

Well, we do face light pollution (duh!) which is why I'm building a case for my telescope so that I can take it to countryside and enjoy deep sky objects..

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I'm Amit. I had a reflector telescope when I was a kid, I don't really remember the details of it now. I recently got new Celestron 127SLT after a lot of research and it's just amazing.

Stargazers Lounge helped me gather useful info about Celestron 127SLT and I finally decided I'd go for it.

If you're in India, the first thing you'd realise that amateur astronomy is quite expensive here. I really liked Celestron telescopes and its accessories but, Celestron doesn't allow shipping to India.

The local vendors and charge you hefty prices for a celestron telescope. I found many vendors selling Celestron 127SLT for 50,000+ INR (Approx. $800).

I looked through the Internet and found Amazon UK ships to India and it's cheaper even if you include shipping cost.

Next is, eyepieces. I found that Agena Astroproducts ships to India and has affordable shipping rates. I have ordered a couple of eyepieces and I see myself purchasing from this website in future.

I'll be around requesting and sharing advises and my experiences.

Keep looking up!

Thank you Amit for this valuable information as i am searching for right vendor in india to buy a telescope.

Hi Amit and welcome to SGL. I have a similar problem to yours in Ethiopia in that few of the equipment suppliers ship to my location. If you like Celestron maybe you can consider Lightspeed in Dubai. I have dealt with them a few times. One telescope from them was defective and they replaced no questions asked though shipping costs were substantial.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi amit. Apologies for the previous post tht went accidentally as i was using the cell for the first time to access sgl. I am from new delhi.

Thank you Amit for this valuable information as i am searching for right vendor in india to buy a telescope.

Hi Amit and welcome. From what others in India have said there appears to be a lack of good, reasonably priced equipment there.

Correct Dave. The issue is the custom duty in India which is about 29.5% of billing value. Over this, 12.5% Value Added tax is charged if the equipment is being resold by the importer to the consumer (user). Hence it is a 41% hike in price just because of the taxes. Obviously, the importer will also keep a 12%-18% profit margin on this, for reselling the equipment to the customer. International frieght and local transportation within India is yet to be added to this cost. Thus the landed cost to the consumer in India is about 56% to 57% higher than U.S. or U.K. :sad:  :sad:

Archived