Narrowband

Jupiter & Callisto`s Shadow Take 2

Virgoman

Hi all,

Matchsticks holding up the eyelids as I type this but have just finished processing the last of the barlow images of Jupiter taken on 11th March. This shows Callisto`s shadow now clear of the darkening limb of Jupiter on its travels across Jupiter`s globe. Very cloudy here today and breezy and it didn`t look promising but have just looked out and the moon is now floodlighting the back garden and sky is clear...typical.. but just too tired..... Anyway, thanks for looking.

Best regards,

Ralph

post-4992-0-93737400-1394932458.png

Many thanks Sandra, Petergc, buzzlightyear, David, Alan, Richard for your kind comments - very much appreciated!!

Very good - what camera - scope etc did you use to capture this?

David

The image was taken with a C8 SCT using a Revelation x2.5 Barlow and a ZWO ASI 120MM camera. I used QHY LRGB filters in conjunction with the camera

Many thanks Sandra, Petergc, buzzlightyear, David, Alan, Richard for your kind comments - very much appreciated!!

The image was taken with a C8 SCT using a Revelation x2.5 Barlow and a ZWO ASI 120MM camera. I used QHY LRGB filters in conjunction with the camera

This is a similar set up to mine although I use the AS120MC - hope I can achieve something similar now I have the dew shield for the C8 SCT

Again - excellent shot

David

Really lovely, clear bands and nice strong shadow I like it! I just wondered as someone else was asking the other day I think why they had a halo around the planet, I notice yours has a halo. Do you know what causes it? is it quite common?

Cheers

Jess :)

Hi Jessica,

and thanks for your kind comments - much appreciated! Regarding the halo seeing was actually rather poor when I was capturing this image and there was a lot of high thin cloud about - not immediately obvious but lying in wait!! I think the halo may possibly be down to this relatively poor seeing with ice crystals in this thin cloud affecting the capture. The moon was also relatively close and bright so may have possibly enhanced things. So you are likely to see it if there is thin high cloud present when a halo can be seen around the moon for example. It can be minimised in processing by adjusting the levels in an image.

Best regards,

Ralph

Nice detail Ralph, and nicely processed too!

Cloudy here yesterday evening too, but I was up at 4 am with the dogs and it was beautifully clear.  Mars and Saturn were beckoning but unfortunately the scope was tucked up in its bed! :(

Angie

Many thanks Simon, Angie, Robbie David & Pete very much appreciated and,

I've had a breakthrough in the observatory with the introduction of the dew shield mentioned earlier

Not as good as yours bro  - but thankfully a step in the right direction :-)

https://sites.google.com/site/welfordobservatory/home/updates/Jupiter?pageUrlChanged=Jupiter

David

Excellent David definitely is a step in the right direction! - and wish you many more. Hopeless here - and wish I had an observatory - that would be a good step for me lol!!

Best regards,

Ralph

Shame you didn't get any more tonight, but that's a stunning capture and process from the 11th - so smooth and some really fine detail.   A real beauty and stunner from the 8" SCT.

I'm going to have to dust off my Revelation x2.5, just had a quick look and think the y x5 must be a dud, as no visible smearing or marks under torch light.

Really lovely, clear bands and nice strong shadow I like it! I just wondered as someone else was asking the other day I think why they had a halo around the planet, I notice yours has a halo. Do you know what causes it? is it quite common?

Cheers

Jess :)

I don't know if anyone has answered this but I find I get that halo in wavelet processing - when I'm finished I open it in Photoshop and drop the background black setting to match the halo level.

Hope that helps

David

Archived