Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Surrey

NGC1023

Thanks to all of you for your kind words of welcome!

Welcome to SGL - but what's this "when moving to Surrey much of the incentive to go out observing had waned........ and the ever bright background sky near greater London all contributed to that." stuff. I'm in Surrey and can can easily lob a stone into London so your LP can't be worse than mine - LP is a myth - here's my M82 SN from last night in 30s exp - no filters used ;-)

post-21003-0-97897300-1395334310_thumb.j

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi nytecam,

. . . so your LP can't be worse than mine - LP is a myth - here's my M82 SN from last night in 30s exp - no filters used ;-)

Lovely picture!  And very well made point :-)   -  plus the fact that SN2014J was discovered from central London!

What can I say . . . impressions of LP are relative, if you move from a less affected area you will always know what your view could have been. Fortunately, technology has helped us to grab back a little of the lost darkness (LPR filters), and today's digital imaging probably also helps to enhance what can be seen (or captured). I haven't owned a digital camera suitable tor AP until this Christmas, but plan to try it out piggy-back with some of my old lenses. I've been very impressed by the planetary pictures posted in the lounge here recently, and this has made me start looking into getting a webcam/CCD to try out some of that too. I know I will have a steep learning curve ahead, but feel comforted by the thought that the results are likely to get better as more experience is gained.

Archived