Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What I'd like from a scope

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

You do not have to use a shroud it isn't essential.

I found that without a shroud, my breath was constantly causing air currents in the view, so have found using one very beneficial.

11 hours ago, peter12 said:

Any sales on for this anywhere? Not sure who's reputable with best price delivered could someone help please? 

Edit: or something similar on here.

For which scope? The Heritage 130p? 

If buying new then:

Rother Valley Optics £136.50 + £7.95 postage
First Light Optics £137.00 + £7.95 postage
Tring Astronomy Centre £149.00 + free postage

Or if you don't mind making up the set from parts salvaged from damaged telescopes you can currently get one from Astroboot. However, you will need to buy the following parts:
SW Heritage 130P OTA - £54.20
SW Heritage 130p dob base - £33.30
Red Dot Finder - £9.00 (make sure you buy a standard Synta one that will definitely fit)
Some eyepieces of your choice
Postage £22.50

Astroboot will give a reasonable saving if you decide you want to mix and match parts (i.e. for someone who wants a tripod based mount instead of the dob base or wants different eyepieces). If you just want the standard setup then it's probably worth sticking to one of the other suppliers listed above who will get the telescope to you more quickly.

Scienceworx and Nat. Geographic telescopes - at least you've worked out that these aren't the way forwards :-D

Regarding being able to 'see' clearly into the eyepiece - in case it wasn't entirely clear from the comments above - this is all down to eye-relief - how close your eye has to get to the eyepiece and I sometimes find how above or square on to the Eyepiece you have to look.  In that respect some EP's have tiny areas of glass to peep into, others have huge great big 'windows' to look through (I'm sure this aspect of an EP has a technical description, but I am not sure what this is).  IME as a learner an EP with both these qualities makes things easier when it comes to looking through the EP.  I believe many of your current frustrations with the 'toy' scopes you've already tried are probably rooted in the cheap and shoddy EP's that you will probably have used as supplied with them.   I think both yourself and your son would get a lot more from whatever telescope you buy if you start with one semi-decent EP in addition to those supplied with any telescope.  In this respect BST starguiders are frequently recommended.  I have a 8mm one - they have big viewing 'windows' and reasonable eye-relief, they also don't break the bank at £49 brand new - often far less than this 2nd hand on SGL classifieds.  You might get a lot of use from something around 12mm-15mm?  Others will correct me if I am wrong.  In that respect if buying a 100P based telescope gives you cash to get just one decent EP it might overall be a better package than a 130P and no extra EP (though that said the supplied EP's for both will still be oodles better than anything you used with the 2 'toy' scopes you've already tried).

8 hours ago, JOC said:

Scienceworx and Nat. Geographic telescopes - at least you've worked out that these aren't the way forwards :-D

Regarding being able to 'see' clearly into the eyepiece - in case it wasn't entirely clear from the comments above - this is all down to eye-relief - how close your eye has to get to the eyepiece and I sometimes find how above or square on to the Eyepiece you have to look.  In that respect some EP's have tiny areas of glass to peep into, others have huge great big 'windows' to look through (I'm sure this aspect of an EP has a technical description, but I am not sure what this is).  IME as a learner an EP with both these qualities makes things easier when it comes to looking through the EP.  I believe many of your current frustrations with the 'toy' scopes you've already tried are probably rooted in the cheap and shoddy EP's that you will probably have used as supplied with them.   I think both yourself and your son would get a lot more from whatever telescope you buy if you start with one semi-decent EP in addition to those supplied with any telescope.  In this respect BST starguiders are frequently recommended.  I have a 8mm one - they have big viewing 'windows' and reasonable eye-relief, they also don't break the bank at £49 brand new - often far less than this 2nd hand on SGL classifieds.  You might get a lot of use from something around 12mm-15mm?  Others will correct me if I am wrong.  In that respect if buying a 100P based telescope gives you cash to get just one decent EP it might overall be a better package than a 130P and no extra EP (though that said the supplied EP's for both will still be oodles better than anything you used with the 2 'toy' scopes you've already tried).

Nice breakdown. I guess I assumed on a better model the eyepiece would naturally be alot better.  The window you speak about or often lack there of can be frustrating. 

Ty

Archived