Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW Heq5 Pillar Mount

Thalestris24

Hi all

Was wondering if anyone has one of these and what there experience has been. If so, I'd be interested to know its dimensions (height/max width/feet length). It looks like it's possible to adjust the north pointing direction relative to the 'feet' which I can't do with the tripod but would really like to be able to. It looks like the pillar height is fixed but lower than the tripod height? If so, that would be good too!

Thanks

Louise

Thanks for the link. I've since noticed that Orion Optics do similar 'pedestal' mounts which might be more suitable as ideally I want something a bit shorter than the SW one http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/MOUNTS/skywatcherheq5.html. What I can't find is any feedback of experience using either. They look stable enough but ok for imaging? Any problems with levelling or alt/az adjustment?

I'm sure someone here must have used one!

Anyone?

Cheers

Louise

I suspect they are all pretty similar. You could search for the relevant words and see if they have been mentioned and by whom, and see there comments or private message them.

Good luck on finding out more. I'm going down the piertech route, but that means i need an obsy too, which is both good and bad.

Good luck.

Jd

Yeah, I've had a look but not found anything particularly useful on the forums. I've emailed Orion Optics for some more details now - see what they say. Reducing the current height of my mount and being able to position it closer to the window would be of great benefit and give me a much better view of the sky. At the moment the highest object I can see is at a max altitude of about 31-32 deg. That means I have to start imaging something when it's still a lot lower than that - not good really. Lowering the scope will allow me to go up to maybe 50 deg - a big improvement. So it seems worth trying the pedestal - I can't imagine there would be major stability problems.

Thanks

Louise

Hi

I live in a flat and do all my ap through a (open) window! So the top window frame is my limit! Also the mount centre is about 52cm from the wall because of the east-facing tripod leg. If I could lower the scope height and move it closer to the window, that would be very useful :).

I have a SW 150pds with an ST-80 guide scope on an heq5 syntrek.

Louise

Could you take the inner legs of the tripod out? Could you just saw the legs off at the desired height (second hand tripods appear on abs for £70-80 if you still wanted one to go out to dark sites with).

Have you thought about a new/different window? (No idea how practical this is)

Could you take the leg next to the wall/window off altogether, and somehow make a bespoke ledge across the window (with its brackets on the wall either side of the window) for that part of the mount to rest on, allowing you to get right next to the window?

I'm sure you've thought of most of these options already.

Jd

Archived