Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
coatesg

Newt refurb - protostar secondary holder owners?

Hi,

I'm starting the process of refurbishing my newtonian prior to mounting it in the observatory which is pretty much finished now.

The secondary is too small to get a decent sized 100% illuminated area - I have a new 3.5" mirror on order but need a replacement secondary holder. The current one is a Protostar 2.6" - are there any protostar owners who know whether the holders are interchangeable without having to get a whole new spider as well? (The main thread is the same, but don't know if there's a difference in eg locations of the collimation screws, the clutch plate, etc.

Thanks

Graeme

(Or another idea: If there's anyone with a 3.5" protostar secondary mount, would you mind taking some measurements?)

I can't help with any measurements but I do have a Protostar 3.1" mirror, holder and spider, I'm assuming you are using the shroud? I just siliconed my 3.1 to the holder, wouldn't that be a cheaper route for you to take? Even with the smaller 2.6" holder I don't think that would be any problem, maybe 1/4" or so of the mirror would be protruding beyond the holder.

That's the way I'm starting to look at this (esp given the extra cost and the lead time)- it'll have a bit more overhang than 1/4" with a 3.5" mirror- more like 1/2" on the minor axis and almost 3/4" on the major but I'm not sure that should cause too much issue. (unless anyone can say otherwise).

Right you are, I was comparing my 3.1 rather than your 3.5", still, I think your holder would suffice, maybe someone with a similar setup will chime in.