Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Mowbs

Mowbs's Observatory Build

Hi, Good luck with the build, I am just finishing my dome off (electrics and so on) I am beginning to think that this is why we do this hobby with all of these cloudy skies??

Will follow the build with interest.

Regards

Mike

Pretty bored at work so I've gone into detail with planning quantities of materials so I can get right into building when I get home. I've just started a new job and they've posted my passport away for a visa so I could be here another 5 weeks in the worst case. I should be able to plan it down to the last nail and screw at this rate.

I can see this 3 sided front causing rigidity challenges, I'm also going to have 3 drop down flaps on the south face so I won't be able to scrimp on materials or build quality, I'm going to make the frame out of 4x2. I'm sure I can build it rigid enough to work, there will be a divide across the middle for the warm room so the roll off roof will only cover the front 3m and the warm roof will be fixed. That will also help to give it some stability. (Hopefully!)

If this photo comes out upside down then you'll just have to turn your monitor upside down to view it, I've tried everything to correct it including taking it upside down.

post-34797-0-03156800-1400858684_thumb.j

Well done on the build so far.  Look forward to see it progress to completion.

I too am planning an observatory, utilising a tiled roof shack which housed 4 kennels (from the previous house owners).
Your design has given me much food for thought, thanks.
Good luck from a retired O&G expat.
Andrew