Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moonshane's sketches

Moonshane

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's my sun sketch from today. nice to have 10-15 mins in the sun even if it was a bit breezy

post-5119-0-60118400-1395689387_thumb.jp

and my effort at Mars last night - sketch as below. note the 'actual size' which was at 200x and possibly about what you were getting by the looks of it. it took about 45 mins of manic staring to see this detail at about 1130-12.15am last night.

post-5119-0-29711100-1395689400_thumb.jp

Great sketches, Shane and thank you for sharing them. I'm beginning to get a little annoyed. It's basically been raining on and off for the seven or eight days and looks like it'll continue that way into next week. I've been able to sketch and view the Sun, but haven't been out at night since last week. Talk about cabin fever :grin:

here's today's sun with my 6" f11, 32mm TV plossl (50x) and baader solar film. I started with the baader solar continuum filter but found this a bit harsh as there was a lot of thin cloud which thickened during the session. I switched to the wratten #11 (yellow green) filter and this was better for the conditions. I find that this filter works almost as well as the BSC but is just edged when the conditions are good.

I had to wait quite a bit for the conditions to improve enough to see the smaller pores.

post-5119-0-94933900-1395939342_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

You are really capturing the eyepiece view of the sunspots Shane, great stuff. I had my first look at the Sun in white light at SGL9 through my old Prinz 60mm f15. Loved it and will be doing much more in the future.

Mars seemed to surrender a little more detail tonight and here's my sketch in the same quality bracket as a chimp's :grin: .

post-5119-0-67446900-1396997050_thumb.jp

Jupiter revealed a little less as he was over rooftops by the time I got out and the seeing started to get murky in that direction. I saw the disc of Io start to move across but conditions worsened before I could see the shadow transit.

post-5119-0-23625200-1396997154_thumb.jp

I need to hone my skills on these two a lot but doing more is a good way to try.

hi Rob

I think so. I certainly spend time specifically looking at a feature to get it in my head for the sketch and this inevtiably means I see more. practice makes 'perfect' I suppose. particularly with solar observing I feel I usually manage to extract every bit of visual detail. I am enjoying it tremendously but still see it as a means to an end (retrospective confirmation of what I think I saw at the eyepiece) rather than art as such.

the sun's a lot quieter at the minute than around a week ago. conditions have been quite poor the last couple of days and today I got literally about 10 mins of clear skies but feel I got all the available detail.

post-5119-0-20967500-1397143497_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-08916200-1397143530_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-20967500-1397143497_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-08916200-1397143530_thumb.jp

hi Rob

I think so. I certainly spend time specifically looking at a feature to get it in my head for the sketch and this inevitably means I see more. practice makes 'perfect' I suppose. particularly with solar observing I feel I usually manage to extract every bit of visual detail. I am enjoying it tremendously but still see it as a means to an end (retrospective confirmation of what I think I saw at the eyepiece) rather than art as such.

Thanks Shane for the reply. I agree with everything you say. Adding to the reasons given, I also find sketching gives me something to do while being slow and just looking. If I didn't have the pencil in my hand, I imagine at times I would buzz on to another target rather than really trying to get to grips with the one I'm focused on. The Sun is an excellent object and your drawings are really taking on personality and detail. I like the idea of retrospective confirmation and I reckon at times we're pulling in more detail than the camera but just in a different way :grin: .

cheers Bish

It's surprising how much detail you see as you sketch and concentrate for a bit on one area (sun and Mars). I generally do the whole sun sketch at the eyepiece (much easier in the daytime!) but add the colour to Mars sketches once I can see what I am doing! I do the shading at the eyepiece though to ensure accuracy

Archived