Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moonshane's sketches

Moonshane

Oh, my. I am posting in the imaging section!

I thought I'd add my sketches as I go along of objects seem mostly from my garden in Stockport and more often than not with my 12" dob.

I simply sketch them with a fine tipped pen (stars and sunspots) and make pencil smudges. Then invert for night in paint.

post-5119-0-25724100-1394826046_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-80000200-1394826068_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-67623100-1394826088_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-23668100-1394826105_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-52732700-1394826186_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-27479100-1394826215_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-20432100-1394826244_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-35415200-1394826293_thumb.jp

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Shane,

I have lots of respect for anyone out there freezing their knuckles off whilst sketching at the eyepiece. Thanks for sharing them & hopefully we will see more from you.  I really like the idea of trying a few myself one day.

James

About time you posted some up!!!!

I really dont think astro sketching is about art or imaging. Sketch what you see, add a few basic written notes and you have a pretty accurate resource to look back on and its great seeing all those observations build up.

Hope you post more of your observations Shane.....It gets pretty lonely down here in the sketching section at times.!  :embarrassed:  :p

I really dont think astro sketching is about art or imaging. Hope you post more of your observations Shane.....It gets pretty lonely down here in the sketching section at times.!  :embarrassed:  :p

Ay, I agree on both accounts. It's nice to see some more sketches being put up and it's a shame sketches are lumbered in the imaging section. Perhaps there's good reason for this categorisation, but I feel sketching is more about observing than imaging which is the main reason I'm adding some of my accounts to the observing section and not here.

Ay, I agree on both accounts. It's nice to see some more sketches being put up and it's a shame sketches are lumbered in the imaging section. Perhaps there's good reason for this categorisation, but I feel sketching is more about observing than imaging which is the main reason I'm adding some of my accounts to the observing section and not here.

I think you've got a very valid point re sketch/observing, but as you say, there's probably a good reason for it. Regardless, it's great to see them where evr they be :).

Nice one Shane. It can be very frustrating sketching out in the cold and damp. Not sure how accurate my star patterns turn out! I've started to scan my old sketches so will post a few.

cheers Pat

I am really enjoying these sketches, although it appears obvious from my notebook that solar sessions are becoming more common that night time ones.

Got to be honest I really know very little about the sun and have never observed it but I'm going to order some Baader solar film soon to use with my 10".

Is it basically the same as making a normal aperture mask Shane (obviously the Solar film goes in place though!)?

As someone who knows little about the suns surface , how often are the sunspots changing Shane ? Is it noticeable by the minute while observing or every few hours .

Nice work by the way.

I only ever spend an hour or so observing the sun as within this time any detail at the resolution I am working at visually is visible (probably more like after about 15 minutes actually). they don't really move massively over that time but do so after a day. there are a few sequences above from one day or so to the next.

I only ever spend an hour or so observing the sun as within this time any detail at the resolution I am working at visually is visible (probably more like after about 15 minutes actually). they don't really move massively over that time but do so after a day. there are a few sequences above from one day or so to the next.

I see , so more over a period of hours than minutes. Interesting , thank you .

Archived