SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Free OU Course-'Moons'

SteveNickolls

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm certainly interested in signing up for this, but does anyone know anything about the providing company Future Learn.

I'm just concerned that I'll suddenly get a huge bill from somewhere for a free course.

Other than this concern it looks good.

In these Terms, references to “we” or “us” are to FutureLearn Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales (registered number 8324083) whose registered address is at PO Box 77, Chambers Building, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6BT.

Best,

Rich

It certainly looks as though everything is above board. They state that this is a new venture and that they are using these types of courses to test the waters, as it were.

One way to find out I suppose...

Will anyone join me?

Cheers,

Rich

I have just completed week 1.

It is very interesting and the content answered a few questions that I didn't understand previously.

I got 22 points out of a possible 24 in the test  :sad:  I should have got 24 but was a little hasty, silly me.

Lots of us by the looks of things! :grin:   I missed this thread last time it did the rounds...

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207772-open-university-free-moon-course/?hl=%2Bfuturelearn

Ah I didn't see that one either.

I would have never have thought of looking in Social groups, for an OU Astronomy course.

So far so good, I just wish my Internet connection speed was better than steam powered, the vids take forever to load.

Either I need to stop reading the discussions as well or it is no where near 2-3 hours a week.

I have just spent 2.5 hours and am only at 1.7 out of 40 parts for this week.

Must change my tactics on completing this course.

Interesting articles and interesting comments made too.

Either I need to stop reading the discussions as well or it is no where near 2-3 hours a week.

LoL took me 2.5 hours to finish. I stopped reading the comments for that very reason :smiley:  I also noticed toward the end there were only a few comments so I guess most people did the same :laugh:

LOL, same here, just got to an interesting bit about the Moon phases and 'Libation', time for a wee practical me thinks. ;)

I got 23 out of 24 and am another one who tripped up on the apogee question. Doh!

I thought the largest mass moon was going to be a bit of a trick one because the question before it was which is the biggest moon. I was worried that the biggest may be less dense than the second biggest and so less massive. Luckily I guessed right.

Yeah I'm enjoying this so far though :)

I tripped up on the mass one too. Thought 'Ganymede can't be the same answer twice.' Apparently it can!

Yeah it is taking a bit of time. I got to 1.20 or something and my mate goes, yeah it goes to 1.40!!! But it is well worth it, although there is a lot of repetition it seems - lost count of how many times I've heard the same fact about a moon.

I don't bother with the comments or discussions. I'd end up getting distracted and you can easily lose an hour reading through a page or two of comments and thinking of a reply.

Been a good course so far.

Archived