Narrowband

First Solar Image with new Lunt 60

SimonfromSussex

Just like night time photography the processing is a fine art (which I need some practice with) but I'm quite please with my first go:

post-13692-0-22764200-1394811306_thumb.p

Very grateful for any pointers!!!

QHY5L-II two runs of 1000 frames one exposed for proms, one for surface, stacked in registax 6 and processed in photoshop

Great job for your first disc, Simon! :icon_salut:

One thing some people do, which may or may not help, is to do two captures, one for the main disc (with lower exposure) and one with the exposure cranked up a bit to expose the proms more. Then use Photoshop to blend the proms in with the main disc detail.

Keep the pics coming, and congrats on the Lunt 60! :laugh:

One thing some people do, which may or may not help, is to do two captures, one for the main disc (with lower exposure) and one with the exposure cranked up a bit to expose the proms more. Then use Photoshop to blend the proms in with the main disc detail.

QHY5L-II two runs of 1000 frames one exposed for proms, one for surface, stacked in registax 6 and processed in photoshop

:grin:

Its a great image though. I wish that I could have gotten such a result the first time out!

Fantastic image Simon!

I've got my eye on this exact telescope for a future purchase. This astrophotography season been pretty bad weather wise and summer is closing in, would be so awesome to have a Ha telescope for the sun when the stars start fading out of sight and the sky brightens up.

If you don't mind, would you mind sharing the exact version of the Lunt60 you use, where you bought and how much it was etc.?

I have a QHY5L-II Color, I wonder how well it would work with the Lunt60. I suppose almost as well as the mono version.

Many thanks Richard & Amra.

This is the exact version I purchased:

http://www.optcorp.com/ls-60tha-b12c-60mm-h-alpha-telescope-b1200-2inch-crayford-focuser.html

The 1200 blocking filter is better for imaging I believe. 

I took a risk and imported it from the USA from OPT. I had to pay just over £200 in UK vat & duty but it still worked out over £500 cheaper than a UK dealer.

I was on a budget and couldn't stretch much further so, it was either import it or look for a second hand one.

I have to say OPT were fantastic, postage was about $125 but I ordered it on Friday 7th of March and it arrived Monday 10th - that's quicker than some UK companies deliver!!

Obviously if there had been a problem with the scope and I had had to send it back that would have been an issue but that was the risk I took and hopefully it has paid off (hope I haven't jinxed it!!).

Where ever you buy it from Amra I'm sure you will love it. I am soooo impressed with the Lunt 60 so far in the short time I have been using it, amazing scope!!!

From what I hear a colour camera is not as good as a mono for solar imaging. I think you loose some of the detail. I'm sure others can confirm that?

Thanks, helpful reply!

£500 cheaper huh? Wow! I'll have to look into that.

Does the entire solar disc fit on the QHY5L-II sensor too?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The image of the Sun will be almost 7mm across at the focal length of this scope, so to get the image on a single frame you'd need a sensor at least that size in it's shortest dimension, otherwise you'll have to use a mosaic.

James

Archived